Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,754   Online: 847

Shooter
    35mm

Handholding a camera with a bulk film back?

Has anyone handheld--let alone used--a camera with a bulk film back? Can it technically be done? I'd want to use it for PJ/wedding type work. Here is why:

I want to shoot Kodak Vision3 500T film. The problem is, the labs that develop it only do so in longish lengths for motion picture users. I think a 250 exposure back for a Nikon F4 would hold enough that some lab would process it for a reasonable fee.

I'm guessing it would be quite unwieldy at first...and I'd have to really start working out, seriously...but it may be worth it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wpositive View Post
    Has anyone handheld--let alone used--a camera with a bulk film back? Can it technically be done? I'd want to use it for PJ/wedding type work. Here is why:

I want to shoot Kodak Vision3 500T film. The problem is, the labs that develop it only do so in longish lengths for motion picture users. I think a 250 exposure back for a Nikon F4 would hold enough that some lab would process it for a reasonable fee.

I'm guessing it would be quite unwieldy at first...and I'd have to really start working out, seriously...but it may be worth it.
    I'm not sure where you would go to buy one of these but if you did manage to get one, I think you'd want a monopod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used 250 backs with my F3 bodies. Trust me when I say you will be trembling with muscle fatigue shooting a wedding hand held.

You will need to find someone who can process your film with a roller transport processor, not a real easy task these days and not easy decades ago when I used these backs.

Great idea, but I wouldn't think the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know about Nikon, but I have the Oympus 250 film back and it was designed to be used with the M. 18v control grip and Motor Drive. The grip attatches to the base of the motor drive and it works like a pistol grip with a built-in trigger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Canon New F1 with a 100 frame back and speed finder. It is not that much heavier than the body with the motor drive attached but can become unwieldy with a long lens. I use it for shooting B&W because I can process the film on long roll Nikor reels. If finding someone to process colour film is going to be a problem it probably isn't worth your time or money.

Gord

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gordrob View Post
    I use a Canon New F1 with a 100 frame back and speed finder. It is not that much heavier than the body with the motor drive attached but can become unwieldy with a long lens. I use it for shooting B&W because I can process the film on long roll Nikor reels. If finding someone to process colour film is going to be a problem it probably isn't worth your time or money.

Gord

That might be an option. If not, then once color film of ISO 800 is gone from the market, shooting color film in ambient lighting probably won't be feasible anymore. Digital will be the only way. I can't imagine pushing an ISO 400 film 4 to 6 stops to get a workable ISO 6400.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin