Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,786   Online: 831

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

New Nikon owner, lens advice appreciated.

Hi there, I had the opportunity to get my hands on an F4s, and would love some advice as to what lenses I should be looking for. I already have some Tamron Adaptall-2 SP lenses I can use on the body, but I'd like some pointers for good AF lenses that aren't overly expensive. I guess I'm looking at focal lengths up to 200mm at this stage, and don't want to build a huge system.

TIA
    Andrew

EDIT: ps I don't mind primes or zoom lenses.
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100/FM2n | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    35mm
    What type of photography are you planning on doing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    mixture really... landscape, some portraiture, travel/photojournalism/street styles.
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100/FM2n | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, for inexpensive I would start with the a 50mm f1.8 lens. They seem to be everywhere for reasonable prices. I also have a cheap "G" zoom lens 24-85mm lens that stays on the camera most of the time. Never had issues with either one. If you feel like investing a bit more in a lens, the 80-200mm f/2.8 is superb for the money.

Shooter
    35mm
    The AF-Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 is very nice. The F4 doesn't use/need the "D" feature so you may be able to pick up older AF-Nikkor lenses that are optically identical to later models but cost less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    The AF-Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 is very nice. The F4 doesn't use/need the "D" feature so you may be able to pick up older AF-Nikkor lenses that are optically identical to later models but cost less.
    One of the reasons I went for the F4 was its ability to use older lenses. There seems to be a lot of ifs, buts and maybes with Nikon lens compatibility

@Mattk: The 50/1.8 will probably be my first purchase.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    85mm/1.8 AF (pre D) is reasonably priced and very good. Stay away from the 24-120 AF D - the only real dog I've ever gotten in a Nikon lens. Best value in general purpose wide angle is the 28mm/2.8 AFD. The PJ/candid street portrait lens to save up for is the 180/2.8 AFD. Its pricey - trading in the $500-$600 range at KEH - but if you ever get your hands on one you'll never let it go.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by zk-cessnaguy View Post
    One of the reasons I went for the F4 was its ability to use older lenses. There seems to be a lot of ifs, buts and maybes with Nikon lens compatibility
    Don't let me confuse you! The F4 can use almost any Nikon F-mount lens, auto or manual focus, pre-1977 or post-1977. Some features developed after the design of the F4 don't work but in practice these limitations are pretty minor (the only exception is the G lenses that do not have an aperture ring, but even they can be used in shutter priority or program modes). There is a good compatibility chart at Nikonians.org.

In the case of "D" lenses, the only difference is in the electronic information the lens transmits, specifically distance information for TTL flash if I'm not mistaken. The F4 doesn't care about this info so it can use either equally well, but the earlier AF lenses are often slightly cheaper.
    Last edited by rthomas; 02-17-2010 at 09:06 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    35mm
    A good "sleeper" lens is the AF Nikkor 35-70mm 1:3.3-4.5 Zoom. It sells at low
    prices but is quite a good lens actually.

Shooter
    35mm
    pretty sure adorama and B&H have some non-ai lenses that the F4 can mount for <$50
    and the flashes for the F4 are cheeeeap too

good camera
    Good luck
    Toledo Camera Trader and photojournalist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin