Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,568   Posts: 1,545,450   Online: 1112

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon N80 or N90s (F80 or F90x)

Hello everyone.

I need a new camera, but can't really decide between those two.
    Too bad I can't afford a F100.

Anyway, these are the advantages I found for the N90s:
    * Better build quality (better protection for rain, dust, etc.)
    * Possibility for MF lenses
    * PC-connection to transfer exposure-data to a computer (I heard the software for this was discontinued or something? Can I still find it, and can I find the connection-cable?)

Advantages for the N80:
    * built-in flash
    * New, so easily obtainable, more warranty, more easy to get it repaired

Anything else I missed?
    (The AF system isn't very important to me. A simple centre AF (like the N90s) is enough)

Does anyone has some experience with those cameras?
    I read for example that the N90s isn't so easy to use as the N80. Also that some new lenses don't work with it..

Thanks in advance,
    nixx

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I haven't used the F90x but I've had an F80 for several years and love it.

The ergonomics work really well for me and the functions suit my needs down to the ground. If I were really picky then I'd like to see mirror-lockup and a bit more speed from the motorwind. Other than than I simply can't fault it. The metering in particular is excellent.

If you have manual Nikon lenses and want to keep using them then go for the F90x, unless you're a fan of separate metering. Otherwise I recommend the F80.

For more advice try www.nikonians.org

All the best,

Frank

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have both a 90s and the 100 and frankly i like the 90 better. Just old fashion; as i like to change the aperture at the lens. So from my point of view you are not missing much by by passing on the 100.

Can you find someplace that will let you run a roll of film with each to see how it handles in the field? I also felt that, that is the true test, how does it feel with actual shooting than just handling in the shop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used f90x's for the past 7 or 8 years and have never been let down and I do give them a hard time in both the landscape and on the streets. Because of my involvement with magazines in the UK I've been lucky enough to have tried every model in the past 10 years and in my view none match the f90. Ann makes a good point when she talsk about how they handle in a work situaion rather that in the shop.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    Ann makes a good point when she talsk about how they handle in a work situaion rather that in the shop.
    Yes, I know. But, I don't really know anyone with either of those cameras.
    I'll just ask around a little. I know some people in a photography-club, so they might know someone.

Since you used the F90x a lot, maybe you know something about that PC-connection? Can it be used? I think it's quite interesting. Writing all your settings down every shot you take is a little too much

thank you very much,
    nixx

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I don't have one now, but I've owned two F80's, and I would buy another in a minute. And if I could afford an F100, I would use the money to buy an F80 and use the change for something else (like a lens). The F80 is very much like an F100. It has a full, uncrippled user interface which is Nikon's current interface for its more professional cameras. You can choose and combine exposure and autofocus modes at your heart's content, or you can use it completely manually in every way. It has a polycarbonate body, but it's a very nice-feeling and visually-appealing shape and size, it has a nice viewfinder with super handy grid lines you can call up on demand, and its focussing ability, while not quite as good as an F100, is nevertheless very, very good. The body has quite a solid, brick-like dense feel to it. It's a camera that is truly a pleasure to work with, and it has pretty much anything anyone might ever need. I personally wouldn't use one in pouring rain without some kind of protection, but I wouldn't do that with an F100 either.

I would pick an F80 over a used F90 simply because it can use all the lenses that Nikon offers now and in the foreseeable future, and in my opinion, the user interface is far superior and more pleasant to work with. Manual focus lenses won't meter, but I've used plenty of cameras without a meter, so I don't consider that a big problem.

Pierre

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    F90x is one of nikon's finest AF cameras ever!
    I had one for years and it never let me down. I now use an F5 if i feel like shooting 35mm but i still miss the f90x from time to time. Its light and robust.
    with F90x you can use the MF lenses and get metering. But you don't get VR with the new nikon VR lenses. Also in many situations f90x shows better AF performance than F100 and even F5 sometimes.
    Don't waste your money on a F80.. get the F90X

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the N90s (same as F90x) and have used a friends N80. I like the N90s better for all the reasons mentioned above in addition to build quality and the ability to compensate in 1/3 stops. The built-in flash on the N80 is a toy anyway with its very low guide number and being so close to the lens causing red-eye.
    Just my opinions....
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

I have both the N90 and N80 and prefer the 80. It is smaller and lighter and I have found the built in flash to be helpful at times.

seve simmons
    cmeraarts magazine
    www.cameraarts.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I purchased the N 80 last November and am very happy with it.

Ricardo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin