Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,043   Posts: 1,560,835   Online: 1167

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: X Ray Bags

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had my stuff hand checked multiple times; all they do is swab all the film and camera gear. I usually keep my Hasselblad unloaded when traveling but still haven't had one of them pull out the darkslide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forget the X-ray bag and get hand inspections done when you can.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used xray bags and still had the film destroyed, other times it was fine. I don't chance it anymore and either ship the film to my destination if it's a large amount or hand inspect it. Better yet, buy film when you get to your destination and mail it back. It's not worth the chance for me anymore and I have a few of them kicking around. I don't even want to sell them as they might cause more misery and false security for someone else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would think that the x-ray causes no noticeable problem, however what happens when you are on an extended or multi-leg trip and you film passes through the "safe" x-ray 6 or 8 or 10 times. You will have a hard time getting me to believe there is no damage from multiple passes if it will cause problems in a single pass for high speed film. I always ask for a hand check. That has proved to be a problem a time or two. The most difficult one was trying to get someone to understand that if the open a box of 4X5 sheet film, it would ruin the film. I don't think they require IQ tests for these jobs and I do appreciate what these people have to do. I'm glad they are screening and hope they are profiling. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a thought. How about if you put the film in the X-Ray bag and put it in the suitcase between clothes. Would the more powerful check in baggage destroy fog it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by njkphoto View Post
    Just a thought. How about if you put the film in the X-Ray bag and put it in the suitcase between clothes. Would the more powerful check in baggage destroy fog it?
    Forget x-ray bags.

If at any point in air travel an item cannot be ascertained it is liable to destruction. All an x-ray bag will do is to show the x-ray operator an item that cannot be "seen" or identified. At best this will lead to the bag being opened/searched at worst taken to one side and destroyed. They are a wast of time.

As others have said here, and it is very good to hear actually, requests to have film hand searched are granted. Go this route or bite the bullet and pop them in the x-ray machine. Save the weight of the bag and use that wieght allowance for more film!

The safest route will be to buy film at the destination - perhaps a dealer will deliver to a hotel on the day of arrival? Unless you are going to Siberia!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    I would think that the x-ray causes no noticeable problem, however what happens when you are on an extended or multi-leg trip and you film passes through the "safe" x-ray 6 or 8 or 10 times. You will have a hard time getting me to believe there is no damage from multiple passes if it will cause problems in a single pass for high speed film.
    You would think that if you had not read Kodak's data sheet on the matter, available for free via their Website, and if you had not safely passed all speeds of film through carry-on e-ray machines who knows how many times (but much more than 6 or 8 or 10) on a trip, with no ill effects.

There is no way in hell I am letting an airport security guard bring my film out in the light and fiddle with it. Carry-on x-ray machines are far safer than doing so.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post

There is no way in hell I am letting an airport security guard bring my film out in the light and fiddle with it. Carry-on x-ray machines are far safer than doing so.
    Can you explain some more?

Shooter
    35mm
    I would rather have my film scanned repeatedly by carry-on baggage scanners (which, yet again, are perfectly safe) than touched even once by an airport security officer. Any time your film is out in the light, it is at risk, especially when being handled, and especially when the person handling it is not a knowledgeable and respectful film photographer.
    I agree. I have flown with film pushed to 1600 having it scanned multiple times and never had any trouble with fogging. However, I have had TSA goons mess up my stuff. I don't want them handling it. I ship all sheet film film though, because while roll film is recognizable as film, it's harder to explain why they shouldn't open a box.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That makes sense.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin