Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,745   Online: 879

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: X Ray Bags

Shooter
    35mm

X-ray proof bags

Found a site where you can buy x-ray proof bags!

www.dogproof.co.uk

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The effect of X-ray shielding bags, as already hinted at here, would be that either it would be opened, which would make the bag useless, or that the radiation dose would be enhanced until the cartriges show up. This again might be detrimental to the film inside.

For this reason Fuji advises NOT to use lead bags.

(By the way, what would 100% X-ray proof mean in that link?)
    Last edited by AgX; 03-10-2010 at 09:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Waste of time, as soon as airport security spot an X-ray prof bag they'll want it opened up, and the contents scanned separately.

Most airports outside the US don't do hand checks, it's better to just carry film away from metal objects, so it gets minimal scanning. I fly very regularly with film & never have a problem.

Welcome to APUG BTW.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    Better yet, buy film when you get to your destination and mail it back.
    Aren't there potentially issues with mailing it, though, particularly if you're overseas? What fraction of packages are getting x-rayed these days? My guess is that shippers who have to x-ray a package would do so with a device that's closer to a baggage scanner in strength, as opposed to a carry-on scanner.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by imokruok View Post
    Aren't there potentially issues with mailing it, though, particularly if you're overseas? What fraction of packages are getting x-rayed these days? My guess is that shippers who have to x-ray a package would do so with a device that's closer to a baggage scanner in strength, as opposed to a carry-on scanner.
    Yep - and this is the elephant in the room that nobody ever seems to address.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Yep - and this is the elephant in the room that nobody ever seems to address.
    Most overseas mail is checked with exactly the same type of scanners used in airports for carry on baggage. Anything suspect may then go through a more severe scanning process. This is actually what happens with hold baggage as well.

These scanners are used in far more places than some people realize. It's not just when flying, ports, cruise ships, shopping centres, courts etc all use them.

In Peru they scan your baggage when you pass through Customs & Immigration going into the country.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Finnish customs office has scanners for X-raying trucks. It's used against smuggling, not sure if mail trucks go through that.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stationary and mobile gamma-/x-ray devices to check whole trucks/containers are common meanwhile.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can carry 120 and 4x5 film in your pockets and it will not trip the metal detectors. 35mm film is another matter since it is in metal cassettes. I wear "cargo pants" with large pockets on the legs which work well and avoid hassles and delays. Especially good for 4x5 as the security guys want to inspect the inside of the boxes. Frankly, though, in the US, you don't have to worry too much about having your film x-rayed. I've taken film through several passes through the carry-on x-ray machines with no decernible effects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kapitman View Post
    You can carry 120 and 4x5 film in your pockets and it will not trip the metal detectors.
    In theory yes, in practice no, they make you take of coats, jackets etc in most airports particularly if the pockets are bulging

But in fact a coat pocket is a good place for film to be scanned as there's no metal objects around it.

My films get scanned so regularly I gave up worrying a log time ago

Ian

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin