Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,953   Posts: 1,558,000   Online: 1096

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: X Ray Bags

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thought I would revive the thread for reasons of confirming thoughts on X-ray bags. I just had a nice face to face conversation with TSA Admin John Pistole. He confirmed the bags are a bad idea because they will slow down the TSA process as despite notions to the contrary, the TSA officer using the scanning machine can not up the power on the machine so it is a form of a red flag. Hand checking is the best way to go if you are willing to wait a bit and personally that has always served me well, just be pleasant and supportive of the job they are doing.

This goes for checked bags too, X-ray bags are totally obsolete at this point, I am surprised they still made...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For my last trip I used a Domke bag. I could see the operators screen and the X-Ray DOES see through the bag, although the image was very dark and they could JUST see through. That was ok for them because they saw that they are just rolls of film and the fact that it was as dark as it was suggests to me that it blocks at least a big amount of radiation.

and: forget hand inspection in Europe. I always ask, it was NEVER granted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both last summer and this summer I tested base density of iso 400 film from the same 100ft batch that either sat in a camera at home or went on a continental USA aircraft trip with two trips through the x-ray scanner. There was no difference in base density that I could detect with my densitometer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    maybe it also depends on the machine in use and for how long they examine your luggage.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin