Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,752   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: X Ray Bags

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

X Ray Bags

Hi,

It's been a looong time since I travel with film and this summer I am going to travel with some Tri-X. I used to have a bag that it was safe for airport X-rays. What do you guys use? Do I need the bag? They say airport X-rays are pretty safe but I want to be 100% sure.

thanks
    njk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just get mine hand-checked.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are many threads on this topic already; some within the past several weeks. Search the archives.

The gist of them all is that carry-on x-ray machines are perfectly safe, therefore you are fine as long as you do not check your baggage, and that you are better off without the lead bag, as it may cause increased scrutiny and delays for everybody behind you and yourself...which is rude, because it is unnecessary, because your film (ANY film) is perfectly safe going through carry-on machines.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just request to get them hand checked.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    is tri-x not sold around the world? is x-ray concern about fresh film or exposed film? or both?
    -just curious

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It has been a while since I have had to transport film through airports. However, when I did, it was usually color slide and/or color print film in 35mm or 120 format. The ISO ranged from 100 to 1000. It was fresh unexposed film minus the original cardboard box, exposed film, or custom loaded film in Nikon AM-1 film cassettes. I transported all my film in lead-lined containers and packed it in my carry-on baggage. In spite of the x-ray proof containers, I still asked for hand inspection of my film.

I started transporting my film this way because on one of my earlier trips, I allowed my unexposed film to be x-rayed at the beginning of the trip and my exposed film was x-rayed on the return trip. When I processed the 35mm slide film, I noticed a loss in image quality (slight fogging and loss of contrast). Since then, I did all I could to avoid getting my film zapped.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Last weekend, on a flight from LAX to Salt Lake City, I asked for hand-inspection and it was granted, fast and no one was held up behind me. They checked 6 rolls of unexposed Tri-X and on the return the same thing. They are really fast and cool about it.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you have your film in an X-ray proof bag, they will open up your luggage and take the contents out and run them thru the X-ray machine, so the X-ray bag is useless. Last flight I made I took 2 bricks of 35mm Ektar, and I asked for hand inspection on the first leg, and the official took every individual roll out of the factory sealed paper boxes and looked at it. I think I just won't bother with asking for hand inspection in the future, just use carry-on which uses "safe" x-rays.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I think I will just have to go without the X-ray bag. I used in the pre 9/11 world going to Europe but now it will sketchy when they see it. I will maybe ask for a hand inspection at JFK but I will be going though Europe and I think there they won't spend the time doing that. But then again who knows. I am also considering getting some chemicals with me and develop the film there. I will have to think about that.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as hand checks as an option, I would rather have my film scanned repeatedly by carry-on baggage scanners (which, yet again, are perfectly safe) than touched even once by an airport security officer. Any time your film is out in the light, it is at risk, especially when being handled, and especially when the person handling it is not a knowledgeable and respectful film photographer.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin