Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,605   Online: 958

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both the 35mm and 28mm in 2.8, excellent lenses, always seems a shame to put a big lens on the OM1. Incidentally, I much prefer the 50mm 1.8 to the 1.4 in Zuikos, probably the only brand where this is the case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 35mm f2, and while the 55mm filter ring is annoying since virtually every other lens uses a 49mm, it's a very nice lens. For most OM zuikos faster = better quality, given a few fairly rare exceptions. The f2s were sort of the zuiko professional line from what i've read. Lower cost wides would be the 24 f2.8, 28 f3.5 and f2.8, and 35 f2.8. Most of the other options are much more expensive, starting with the 35 f2, then jumping up from there to the 40 f2, 28 f2 and 24 f2. There's a few zoom lenses, of which i haven't heard good things except for the 35-80 f2.8, and it's pretty rare and expensive.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the 35mm f2.8 silver nose and it's my go to lens most of the time but.. I find the front element touch's on my polarizer if I screw it on all the way I did not have that trouble with a non silver nose I borrowed once.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by maderik View Post
    There was one: the 40mm f/2.0.
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...htmls/40mm.htm

KEH currently has a few but they are not inexpensive.
    40mm isn't really a wide angle on 35 mm but much closer to a standard lens than a 50mm on the format because the diagonal of the 24x36mm frame is about 42 mm.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I own both the 28/2.8 and 35/2.8.

The 28/2.8 I've used quite a lot, it's a good lens, some enlargements I've done as 11x14 have been quite good, good contrast and doesn't show much in the way of vignetting/distortion, it can be a bit soft on the edges I think which is common with wides in this format & era. I don't use it much any more, I have started using the 24mm f/2.8 as my main wideangle.

The 35/2.8, haven't really used it enough so jury is still out. I like what I've seen so far, but if I had to pick one, I'd probably stick with the 28/2.8.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Everybody seems to knock the zuiko zooms, but I have to put in a good word for at least one of them - the F4 35-70. Not even the "supposedly best" version of this zoom length.

Have a look at a pic I posted in the gallery

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=35532

and now have a look at the crop from the signpost

That looks pretty darn sharp to me - and its a neg scan!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although I'm not an Olympus user Darin, I'm a big fan of 35mm f2 lenses, I find them to be a very useful moderate wide angles that gives a reasonable angle of view and depth of field, with the minimum of distortion.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-20-2010 at 02:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 35mm f2.0 (MC), 35mm f2.0 (Silvernose), 28mm f2.8, and 21mm f2.0. All of them are great quality lenses. Over 95% of the time I use a 50mm lens.:o

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    I have both the 35mm and 28mm in 2.8, excellent lenses, always seems a shame to put a big lens on the OM1. Incidentally, I much prefer the 50mm 1.8 to the 1.4 in Zuikos, probably the only brand where this is the case.
    I agree on the lens size and the OM-1. Most of the OMZ primes balance well with the body. The small wides, with the flat barre, give a compact look to the camera.
    I've read around that the 1.4 is a bit soft wide open, specially the early models. There's a "Unscientific" comparison between the 1.4s and 1.8s in a blog (om experience). The 1.8 MiJ seems to be the best of the 50's wide open. What I don't like of this lens is the harsh bokeh that often appears on longer focusing distances in backgrounds (3m to infinite).
    Oh, and this got me intriguing for a while? The 1.8 MiJ is Multicoated? Mine has reflections of lots of colors, and it's hard to identify clearly. I even think that some elements are SC and some others are MC.

I want march to arrive and have some holidays, it's been quite a while since I haven't shot anything. Must end that roll of KR64. Inactive time gets me into tech stuff.
    Last edited by Prest_400; 02-20-2010 at 03:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Sometimes the brighter lenses aren't necessarily sharper..
    What of the 28mm f2 and 35mm f2 as opposed to the slower versions?
    Of the two, the 28/2 was generally considered one of the sharpest primes in zuikoland. I'd have to agree, in using mine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin