Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,665   Posts: 1,481,686   Online: 759

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Strange Contax G1 mid-roll rewind problem

Frustrating ....

I was out shooting Tri-X this morning with both my Contax G1 and Canon ... Went through a roll on the Canon first, switched to the G1 and at about frame 16 the roll rewound

So I thought maybe I was just crazy, loaded up another roll, and it rewound at frame 3 .....

Got home, loaded an old roll of Fuji color film I had laying around ... walked around the yard .... it shot all 36 exposures fine .... SIGH.

Loaded ANOTHER roll of Tri-X ...... rewound at frame 8.

1. No, I'm in no way accidentally hitting the mid-roll rewind button on the bottom :-)

2. All this film was purchased retail from my local shop ... anybody think it could just be wound too tight or something? I mean, it works fine in my Canon's which also have auto-rewind at the end of the roll.

I'm pretty frustrated. I wish there was an override for the entire auto rewind situation.

TIA for any help and interested to hear if anyone else has ever experienced this problem.

PS- Yes, HI .. I am new on this forum (love it) but not new to film or photography. I used to own a G1 years back, so this is my second ... obviously used. I'm kinda of trying to find out if its defective.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Having both a G1 and a G2 currently, and having used them extensively, this is NOT normal behavior. I would send it in to have it checked out. Just to eliminate potential sources of failure, have you checked the IR frame counter inside the film gate to be sure it is clear? Too much dirt on the sensor could potentially lead it to think film is not advancing, and kicking on the auto-rewind. Also make sure your batteries are fresh- low battery strength could fool the tension sensor into rewinding because it isn't turning the take-up spool with enough vigor.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yea I'm the idiot :-)

Took both your suggestions, the frame counter was clean (entire camera is very clean.) Changed batteries .... duh. Note to self, buy something, change batteries! I just assumed they were ok since I wasn't getting any battery-low warning. Not only did the film run fine, but the focusing was faster, shutters seemed smoother ... I think the batteries were real low and everything was dragging.

Anyhow, yea, I feel like a n00b, oh well its not the first time! Thanks for your help :-)

Now I need to find a reasonably priced 28mm Biogon!

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    with enough vigor.
    Lack of vigor was the problem

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 5stringdeath View Post
    Yea I'm the idiot :-)

Took both your suggestions, the frame counter was clean (entire camera is very clean.) Changed batteries .... duh. Note to self, buy something, change batteries! I just assumed they were ok since I wasn't getting any battery-low warning. Not only did the film run fine, but the focusing was faster, shutters seemed smoother ... I think the batteries were real low and everything was dragging.

Anyhow, yea, I feel like a n00b, oh well its not the first time! Thanks for your help :-)

Now I need to find a reasonably priced 28mm Biogon!
    I didn't have quite the same problem, but I recently got a G2 and it seemed a bit sluggish with the batteries that were in it from the store. Popped them out, they were expired Energizers. I think from an operational standpoint, it's good that the camera doesn't just die when the batteries are low, because who knows if you have a replacement handy. But if it's causing it to rewind film...ick.

I also need to keep an eye on the 2025s in the data back, since those were causing erratic behavior as well until I replaced them.

On the bright side, if you carry the TLA flashes, you can always cannibalize from that for the camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by imokruok View Post
    I didn't have quite the same problem, but I recently got a G2 and it seemed a bit sluggish with the batteries that were in it from the store. Popped them out, they were expired Energizers. I think from an operational standpoint, it's good that the camera doesn't just die when the batteries are low, because who knows if you have a replacement handy. But if it's causing it to rewind film...ick.

I also need to keep an eye on the 2025s in the data back, since those were causing erratic behavior as well until I replaced them.

On the bright side, if you carry the TLA flashes, you can always cannibalize from that for the camera.
    Luckily someone gave us boxes and boxes of CR2 batteries at work, so I'm good for a few years.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by imokruok View Post

Actually I realized this is only true of the TLA200 ... the TLA140 uses a single CR123 battery.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Those CR2's should be all or none. My G2 goes from 100% to zero within a single exposure.

Give it a few rolls before ruling out electronic malfunction. And god help you if you actually need the assistance of Contax in North America, judging from my limited experience.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yea, now I'm pissed, cause its still happening. I'm going to file a claim via the proper channels to try and get my money back, but if I can't, does anyone know of a service center? I'm really bummed cause now I have two lenses I can't use ........

It seems that TOCAD still does service in the US:
    http://www.kyoceraimaging.com/bulletins/csb2.htm

Anyhow if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Rich, are you saying that when our G2 drains it just shuts down? Cause I'd rather that happen than this wasting of 1/2 rolls of film while I diagnose things.
    Last edited by 5stringdeath; 02-26-2010 at 10:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin