Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,027   Online: 1033

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    The seller does admitin the fine print that they cannot test it and the consignor cannot say that the camera is fine so it is being sold as-is. But that's kinda buried. Not really on the deceptive side unless it has been changed since this thread was started.
    But the photo in the listing is definitely deceptive. An honest seller would put up a photo that truly represented, to the best of their ability, the condition of the item. This seller would definitely get completely negative feedback from me, plus would have a dispute lodged. This listing is not honest and IS deceptive.

Shooter
    35mm
    ^ I'd have to agree with Lyle. It's the same as someone advertising a car
    and showing a picture of it in profile and when you arrive you see that the
    other side of the car is smashed.

I don't think this seller intentionally set out to be deceptive but that won't
    do much to calm the poor buyer who buys this piece of junk.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Arghhh, I'm angry and I haven't even bought the thing or placed a bid (not that I will).

Funny thing is that the seller has a 100% rating and 5,000 sold. Obviously this guy has some tricks up his sleeve to quiet the occasional disgruntled buyer.

That's the shitty thing about ebay (and anywhere else for that matter): a small number of crooks messing things up for a majority of honest people. And the pro-crooks getting away with their crookeries, of course.

It's impossible that you put up such an auction and not know that you are pulling legs. This guy *is* a crook.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the description of "focus type"-manual and automatic. Hmm... autofocus Retina.... hmmm.......
    I orta git it, soze I kan haz a one-r-a-kind. I always wanted an autofocus cam.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In general, I don't like buying from these "consign" type locations. They either have no clue about what they are selling or can pretend to.

But this situation is a bit different - this is an antique dealer who can be reasonably expected to accurately describe the external physical condition of an item. To say nothing in the description of mold, corrosion, and covering lifted off, and to include a photo that hides those, is deceptive. In the case of an antique dealer, you'd have to assume it's intensionally deceptive.

The seller can't hide behind protestations of not knowing technical condition or not being a camera expert - it's basic common sense.

Shooter
    35mm
    At this moment there are 3 bids on the item. It will be interesting to see what,
    if any, feedback ends up being posted on this transaction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm watching the item, very interested in the final sale price.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    I like the description of "focus type"-manual and automatic. Hmm... autofocus Retina.... hmmm.......
    I orta git it, soze I kan haz a one-r-a-kind. I always wanted an autofocus cam.

Rick
    It also says the color is black. I didn't notice that before. If this really were a
    black Retina Reflex that would be a find in itself but, of course, it isn't.

So, the seller is advertising a moldy junked camera with misrepresented
    condition and falsely saying it's black and auto-focuses!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [
    As to the Canon case, they are often found in that condition even if the camera is in fine shape.[/QUOTE]

My point.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having seen this thread, I contacted the seller and they added the extra photos to their listing. I'm not sure why some people have a fascination with badly described ebay listings. If people see something odd, why not do everyone a favour and contact the seller about it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin