Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,413   Online: 1102

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ive got one in the classifieds right now if any interest...w lenses

Shooter
    35mm
    I find it humerous; the first thing that came to mind when I read read your thread title is that annoying little red button for turning on the viewfinder illumination. That was my biggest gripe about an otherwise very nice camera. My F5 and F6 have very easy to turn on LCD backlighting.

Jared
    Nikon F6, Nikon F5, AF Nikkor 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5, Nikkor 50-135mm f/3.5 AI-s, 50mm f/1.4 AI-s, MC-20 remote release.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    Go back to an F2 - none of these problems
    Mark
    This is very true. I have two nice old F2s, one with a DP-11 and the other with a DP-1. Neither have the jumpy needle syndrome (yet). Since I don't use flash the 1/80th flash sync and the weird flash attachment don't bother me.

I like to be able to adjust the meter on these cameras by looking down at the meter window on the top of the camera without putting the camera to my eye.

The versatility, battery independence and reliability of these old cameras is awesome.

The F3HP is a really nice camera too, however. It looks nice, the finder is bright and I like the way it fits my hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never used it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I wish F3 had same kind of switch like in F4. The button is so very useless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the F3, and have one, but I've always found the tiny button's size, location, lack of feel and frequent refusal to function properly, irritating to the point of being insulting. I mean, people paid a lot of money for that machine and they were expected to just accept that inadequate afterthought.
    It's always amazed me that Nikon allowed that "feature" to make it to production, it's so bad. That they never saw a need to fix it is beyond me.
    Did no one in the top ranks see it would have been better to leave it off than include such a lousy design?

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alright relax, it's a simple LCD illumination button. It's not a deal breaker by any means. Do what the rest of us do: ignore it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Alright relax, it's a simple LCD illumination button. It's not a deal breaker by any means. Do what the rest of us do: ignore it.
    Sorry, we all have our pet peeves. I just get annoyed by stooopid design, especially from companies that should know better. Like you said, just ignore it. I ignored it, and it went away. That is, it stopped working at all.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    First one of mine that stopped working I took the top plate off to clean the switch. I was a repairer at the time so knew perfectly well how to do the job but it started acting up again within 18 months.
    So I used a white chip led from a mobile phone & modified the circuit a lttle so that the light comes on and goes off with the meter. Never got around to doing the other bodies though... maybe one day.
    It's quite easy, any repairer should be able to do the job for you - I think Nikon used to offer a similar mod. but without the led.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll take a different position on this: both the light and the LCD still work on my nearly 30-year old F3HP. The light may be awkward and rarely used, but it still going strong, so something must be right with it.
    Last edited by Shawn Rahman; 02-24-2010 at 09:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin