Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,827   Online: 811

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just checked both of my F3HP bodies, both lights work perfectly.

However I cannot remember the last time I used a light to see the reading, maybe 20 years ago, maybe longer.

I don't think it was a stupid design, it was cutting edge when it was released, especially for a conservative company.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    back when I first got it in 82 I did use it and found quite difficult to use. Nowaday, it's a nice decorating element, not functioning. My F2AS was stolen in 84 and I can't remember where the button was, it did have such a button

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    Go back to an F2 - none of these problems
    Mark
    So very very true, I've never found anything about my F2 that I didn't like

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only recently aquired an F3 for pictorial photograohy - and I find it to be... lacking in the "intuitive" department!

Either you know where the right button is... or you don't. Most other cameras I've used it is obvious... but not the F3.

I also played with an F5 the other day - also knobs all over the place and no obvious sense or reason.

I say "aquired for pictorial photography" because for the last 13 years I have used Nikon cameras as part of my job as film recording devices. Nothing comes close. We have tried many other 35mm cameras and absolutely nothing... NOTHING came close to the reliability and longevity of Nikon cameras. When the F3 was discontinued we switched to Leica SLRs... good, but they had a shorter life as everyone went digital so we were not able to make a real comparison. My hunch is that Nikon would have still been supreme.

But yes... that little red button drives me NUTS!
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I bought mine, new, I was told it was the model that is "drugged though the mud all over the World by Journalists". I guess they never use some of the features on the camera. I do love this camera and the 55mm Micro Nikkor lens is the cats **s for sharpness.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm still surprised some people would find this camera difficult to use. Everything is right there, right in front of you and immediately obvious. There's no need to use every single button and dial.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    I just checked both of my F3HP bodies, both lights work perfectly.

However I cannot remember the last time I used a light to see the reading, maybe 20 years ago, maybe longer.

I don't think it was a stupid design, it was cutting edge when it was released, especially for a conservative company.

Mick.
    I'm glad to hear that for some the light works well. I wish I could say the same. Shouldn't a feature on a professional Nikon work well for everyone?

Maybe the switch lasts if it's not used much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I'm glad to hear that for some the light works well. I wish I could say the same. Shouldn't a feature on a professional Nikon work well for everyone?

Maybe the switch lasts if it's not used much.
    You really don't need the light. Here, I'll calculate the exposures for you:

It's night, you're loaded with 1600 speed film: 1/15th or 1/30th.
    It's night, you're loaded with 400 speed film: Push to 1600, or 1/4, or 1/8th.

Wide-open in all cases. This is why the light is not of terrible use. Metering is usually not of terrible use in the conditions where the light would be. It's just a superfluous feature on an otherwise excellent body.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    You really don't need the light. Here, I'll calculate the exposures for you:

It's night, you're loaded with 1600 speed film: 1/15th or 1/30th.
    It's night, you're loaded with 400 speed film: Push to 1600, or 1/4, or 1/8th.

Wide-open in all cases. This is why the light is not of terrible use. Metering is usually not of terrible use in the conditions where the light would be. It's just a superfluous feature on an otherwise excellent body.
    I think the parts in bold apply to you.:rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I think the parts in bold apply to you.:rolleyes:
    Huh? I was trying to be pragmatic about how the usability of the light fits in with the camera today. I personally don't have any issues using the camera with or without the light working - because I'm not shooting aperture-prio or using the camera as a meter at night.

And another thing: even if it is night and I'm loaded - I'll still get the shot.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin