Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,436   Online: 816

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    35mm
    I haved been enjoying this thread. It seems a minor issue (or flaw) has brought forth a host of opinions on the F3. I once owned an F3HP, and foolishly sold it. Just prior to the start of this thread, I decided to look for another F3. I have actually bought two, an HP and a standard DE-2. The HP should arrive in a couple of days, and the DE-2 version should be here by week's end.

I would have to agree with the poster who stated that there is no perfect camera. I have owned and used many cameras, and, while some are close to perfect, I have not found a perfect camera--that is, perfect in design, handling, durability, features, cold weather performance, and available accessories and lenses. I think the F3 is perhaps close, but I agree that the viewfinder image of the HP is a bit small, the 1/80th sync speed rather paltry, and there are a couple of other minor isssues (as discussed here). Surely, it is a very nice camera. I find it interesting, though, that in the absence of my "pro" cameras (the F3 and the F-1N), I have been very happy using my Pentax Spotmatic SP II--a forty-year-old design with far fewer features than the either the F3 or the F-1N I had been using.

Perhaps the more a manufacturer adds to a camera the worse it gets? I know this sounds odd, but maybe there is some truth to it.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 03-14-2010 at 04:09 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is nothing better than Totally Manual; no Batteries. Then comes the F3HP

Shooter
    35mm
    Well stated, Pumalite. Such is why I also own a Pentax SL: no batteries AND no meter. I do not know why so many rely on in-camera metering, as these meters are so easily fooled. In most cases, even side-lit shots suffer at the hands of an in-camera meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    I find it interesting, though, that in the absence of my "pro" cameras (the F3 and the F-1N), I have been very happy using my Pentax Spotmatic SP II--a forty-year-old design with far fewer features than the either the F3 or the F-1N I had been using.

Perhaps the more a manufacturer adds to a camera the worse it gets? I know this sounds odd, but maybe there is some truth to it.
    An astute observation. More and more, I care less and less about features and enjoy the simplicity of the older stuff. For example, I recently handled an OM-1 for the first time in many years and was reveling in its simple goodness. Easy handling and oh, that viewfinder!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eSFotos View Post
    I didn't know it existed.
    My gripe is AE lock button. This thing came off and I can't put it back. I heard this is a common problem with F3.
    I've heard that. I've not had a problem myself. It seems spares are still pretty easy to find.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The VF in the F3 and F3HP is stellar. You can choose to use the other features (of which there aren't that many) or just treat it as a normal manual camera.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    The VF in the F3 and F3HP is stellar. You can choose to use the other features (of which there aren't that many) or just treat it as a normal manual camera.
    Agreed.
    I do wish the + and - symbols on manual were larger, especially in lower light.
    As was said earlier, no camera is perfect.

I like the HP finder because I wear glasses, and the eye relief is great. My LX's is as bright and has better contrast, so is a real treat to use for that reason. I use the FA-1W finder, the Pentax equivalent to the HP. It has a larger image but less eye relief compared to the HP finder, so the HP is easier to use in that regard. My MX has a finder about the same size as the OM-1's but the OM-1's is brighter and less coarse, though with a little less contrast. A screen from the LX improves the MX's finder a lot.
    I like a plain matte screen and the F3's is my favorite. The screen selection for the F3 is awesome, with new ones still easy to find.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    There is nothing better than Totally Manual; no Batteries. Then comes the F3HP
    Well, true, although, there's also the bodies like the F2A, F Photomic FTn, FM2n, Nikkormat FT series, which are also pretty darn close to the Totally Manual, no battery ideal.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin