Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,699   Online: 1010

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Do you need multiple lenses? If not the Yashica Lynx 14 & 14e have well regarded 45mm f/1.4 lenses that focus down to 2.6' and decent viewfinders with parallax correction. They also have shutter speeds from 1/500 to 1s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another camera to consider is the Voigtlander/Cosina rangefinder. If you are looking for a 35mm f2.0 or faster lens the Voigtlander lenses are reasonably priced (as compared to Leica) and will fit any LTM/M body.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Spend as much as you can afford on as little as you need.

A good, recent, CV rfdr with a 50 will be affordable, and reliable, and good.

If you buy and old camera, be it Leica or Canon, it will need a CLA.
    If you get anywhere with this project, you can always pick up a good M Leica.

The important thing is to begin. If it were me, I'd buy a good Cosina Voigtlander, and a 35/2, and get going.

And fast film. You need 3200 most of the time, less for speed and more to manage the contrast). Get closer, get closer, get closer.
    Last edited by df cardwell; 02-24-2010 at 11:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sully - love your stuff at
    http://paulmcevoy.viewbook.com/music...A-5309626-1#15

you've GOT to keep this work going
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The CV rangefinder cameras are good and the lenses for them are very good. They are not as refined as a Leica, but they seem sturdy enough and a used one won't set you back an arm and a leg.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Second vote for the Yashica 14e IC f/1.4. Extraordinary for night pics.

Shooter
    35mm
    You could grab a Konica Hexar, great camera as well and uses Leica M mount.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the help all. Turns out a Leica may be made available to me in a couple of months. Not sure what kind or what. Long story.

I may buy the Canon to tide me over. The only thing I hate about those cameras is that ugly light meter.

I owned a Yashica rangefinder once, and from what I remember, it was Aperture priority with no exposure compensation? That really limits its use for me. Am I wrong? This was quite a while ago.

And DF_Cardwell, thanks. That's a favorite pic, a different style of music from what I'm working on now, it was much easier to photograph!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Sully;

You have referred to the Canon 7 as a cheaper substitute for a Leica. Well, in addition to asking; "Which Leica?" we can also ask; "Which Canon 7?" There are several Leicas that can be bought for less than the legendary Canon 7 with the 50mm f/0.95 lens.

Others have suggested other more simple rangefinder cameras, such as the Yashica Lynx 1.4 with the 45mm f/1.4 lens. I can certainly agree with that choice. It was the one I wanted back in the very early 1960's, but I had to settle for the Yashica Lynx 1000 with the f/1.8 lens instead. Eventually that was replaced with my first Minolta SR-1b. Another one that I can suggest is the Minolta Hi-Matic 9 with its full range of shutter speeds and the ability to operate Shutter Priority or Aperture Priority, and, if you set both to their Automatic setting, you have an early form of what we now call a "Program Mode." All of these cameras are much less than the Canon 7, including a CLA if required. All of them have in-the-lens leaf shutters that are very discreet when the shutter release is pressed.

You did say that you have a FSU rangefinder also, but you are not happy with the viewfinder size. They do have auxiliary viewfinders that can go onto a Fed, Kiev, or Zorki. I have a Zorki 4K purchased here through the APUG For Sale Listings.

Anyway, there are several paths open to you. The main point also made by others is to use whatever you have and take photographs with it.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Forget it if the Leica is too expensive or you will be stuck with Russian lenses, or Canon if you can push yourself to afford it.

The lenses are where the money goes (and the photos come from)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin