Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,432   Online: 828

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
    There is also a 28mm Super-Lentar and a 135mm Super-Lentar with the camera. I'm thinking these are not as great as the Takumar.
    You could be right but don't write them off until you try them. The 135mm will probably be fine. It's a simple focal length to design for and I haven't ever found a bad 135mm lens (for 35mm format). Even the Hanimex 135/f2.8 I use on a Nikon is good.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry. Didn't mean to suggest that the 1.4 was more or less sharp than the 1.8. Quite frankly, I don't know which of the 2 is sharper. I was commenting from an overall perspective, which will be heavily influenced by lens speed.

I was told by an employee of the importer many years ago that some models with a top speed of 1/500 actually had a shutter capable of 1/1000 (the same shutter in other Spotmatic models). But the dial limited you to 1/500. The reason for this was to differentiate lower priced and higher priced models. But I don't have independent verification.

This sounds a bit silly, but my favorite feature of the Spotmatic is the wind lever. No other SLR I've seen had such an aesthetically graceful lever. Pure aesthetics I realize, but it's something I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by zk-cessnaguy View Post
    The 50mm f/1.4 is a great standard lens, but its arguable that the 55mm f/1.8 is a bit sharper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having owned both the f1.4, f1.8 and f2 versions of the Takumar's Supers, SMC & later Pentax versions there might be very slight differences in sharpness if you do extensive testing but in practice they are all exceptional good sharp performers

The Pentax's with a top speed of 1/500th have an unmarked 1/1000th which is unregulated and not as accurate as the camera's with a the marked 1/1000th

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post

I was told by an employee of the importer many years ago that some models with a top speed of 1/500 actually had a shutter capable of 1/1000 (the same shutter in other Spotmatic models). But the dial limited you to 1/500. The reason for this was to differentiate lower priced and higher priced models. But I don't have independent verification.
    Consider it independently verified!
    The 1000 isn't on the dial but the detent works.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Consider it independently verified!
    The 1000 isn't on the dial but the detent works.
    Think of the hidden 1000 speed on the SP500 and S1a as turning it up to 11.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I took these with my Pentax Spotmatic over 40 years ago. I found the old negs Ilford HP4 and scanned them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    As for quality; just holding one of these cameras speaks volumes. I'd put the body quality up their with the Leica M stuff any day.
    I'm glad somebody else agrees with me regarding the build quality of spotties. IMHO, the top SMC Taks are as good or better than anything leica made in the same era too.

Say this to a leicafile and watch the fireworks!
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    I'm glad somebody else agrees with me regarding the build quality of spotties. IMHO, the top SMC Taks are as good or better than anything leica made in the same era too.

You can't make a statement like that and not expect a response

Comparing a Leica M lens like a Summicron to an SMC Takumar, or similar quality Japanese lens is unwise, they have different design criteria in terms of resolution/definition, micro-contrast and apparent sharpness and tonality..

Whether you think one is better than the other is subjective, I've used both, and while there are significant differences both are excellent lenses.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post

In 1966, the year I bought the camera, it was as good a camera as I could have possibly afforded at the time. If I had waited for a better camera I might never have bought one.

The camera bodies of the Spotmatics are excellent. The lenses were definitely good enough. The miniscule difference between lenses is not enough to spend a lot effort cranking out meaningless rhetoric when one time could be taking pictures. Been there, done that, and none of my work is any better for it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin