Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,624   Online: 998

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Is that a CZ Jena Sonnar? Or a CZ Sonnar? That makes a difference.
    It's a Carl Zeiss Jena DDR but it's only marked S, not Sonnar. Something to do with licensing issues.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Zeiss, West Germany paid CZJ a substantial amount not to use the names after all Jena held the rights to them, there were issues in the US market where litigation is the way of life for many lawyers.

The CZJ Sonnar's and Flektagon's were superb lenses, but build quality wasn't as tight as Zeiss in the West. Some of the highest quality 35mm images I've seen were shot with an Exacta VX100 and 3 Zeiss lenses a Pancolor 50mm, Flektagon 35mm and a 135mm Sonnar.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might as well keep it in the family and get a Takumar for your Spotmatic. The 50mm f1.4 is very highly regarded, in no small part for its smooth bokeh.

I do want to, though, give a shout out to Fuji glass. The Fujinons and EBC (multicoated) Fujinons were great lenses. The 55mm f/1.8 is one of my favorites, along with the 55mm f/3.5 macro.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    50mm f1.4 Takumar..
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A few months back, a neighbor gave me a Spotmatic F with an 55mm f1.8 SMC Takumar.

What I have come to enjoy about it is the focal length. That extra 5mm over a 50mm lens seemed trivial at first, but I like it better than the 50mm lenses I've used before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite Pentax lens is the 55mm f/2. I think it was made in screw mount too. Absolutely beautiful lens. The 50mm f/1.4 is very nice too.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by drkhalsa View Post
    A few months back, a neighbor gave me a Spotmatic F with an 55mm f1.8 SMC Takumar.

What I have come to enjoy about it is the focal length. That extra 5mm over a 50mm lens seemed trivial at first, but I like it better than the 50mm lenses I've used before.
    Same here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that the Taks are top of the line. I have a 55/1.4 Mamiya Sekor that gives the taks a run for the money.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The only "50" I used on my two H3v's was the 55f1.8 in both the Super-Tak and Super-Multi-Coated Tak versions. Almost bought the SMC Tak 55f1.8, but, decided against it, since the early Super-Tak lens was fine on my last H3v. I did consider getting a 50f1.4, but, since my second H3v came when I'd been mainly shooting Nikon, I figured it wasn't really worth it. If I come across a black SV and have enough cash to get it, I might pick up one with a -4 diopter, and equip it with a 50f1.4, 85f1.8, and one of the 35mm Tak's. Just to be able to relive my non-metered Pentax days, with a better fleshed-out kit.

Oh, and, yes, the 55f1.8 is a real nice lens. I would say that it's just as nice as the Nikkor-H 50f2, which means it's very contrasty and sharp with good bokeh.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote here for the Tak 50/1.4 -- just a brilliant lens. I will also add that the very inexpensive Helios 44-2 58mm/f2 preset lens is lots of fun for the money.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin