Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,830   Online: 993

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

BEST 50 mm M42 Screw mount?

i am shopping and wonder what is the best, or one of the best lens for my spotmatic around the 50mm focal!

thanks
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    35mm
    The SMC Takumars (or any of the Takumars) are hard to beat, especially the
    50/1.4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ricoh, Pentax, if you can find one, a Zuiko, Yashica, and I'm sure thats not even a start. Any body want to chime in on the European and Russian lenses?

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Super-Multi-Coated Takumar f/1.4

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All quality SLR manufacturers have had absolutely outstanding normal lenses for the past 50 years (meaning since the era of widespread SLR use began). You can't really go wrong with anything. The best one is the one that is fully functional, in excellent condition optically, lets in enough light at the maximum aperture to satisfy you, and is either free or cheap.

Indeed, one of the great things about 50mm lenses is that they can be made very well for a very reasonable amount of money. As such, there really aren't that many "bad" ones in existence.

I am very pleased with all of the following 50mm SLR lenses that I own or have owned:

Pentax M42 Takumar 50mm f/1.4
    Nikon F Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4
    Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C.
    Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 S.S.C.
    Canon FDn 50mm f/1.4
    Canon FDn 50mm f/1.8
    Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7

There isn't anything that any of them leave me wanting for. They are sharp, beautiful, fast, and cheap.

FWIW, my least favorite is the Canon FDn f/1.8, and this is only because the out of focus areas are a little more "harsh" than the others, not because it isn't sharp.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 02-28-2010 at 08:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The new Zeiss ZS...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm F1.8 MC will kill all others ...
    My fav among so many 50's.
    Canon/Nikon/Contax/Mamiya/Olympus/Minolta/Praktica/Pentax/Pentacon/Zeiss/Yashica/Zorki/Kiev/Ricoh ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eSFotos View Post
    Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm F1.8 MC will kill all others ...
    My fav among so many 50's.
    Only the odd rare well made one They can be almost on a par with the Takumar but because of poor build quality many aren't. I have 2 Pancolor's as well as a number of 50-55mm Super Takumars/ and SMC versions.

Without a doubt the best M42 50mm's are the Takumars.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a 50mm f2 Takumar on my SP500 whic I cannot fault. If you don't actually need to go lower than f2 then the only advantage to the faster lenses is the extra brightness in the viewfinder.

I have not looked but I would think the f2 lens sells for less than the f1.4 or f1.8

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Without a doubt it would have to be the 1.4 Takumar for your SP, anything else is just sacrilege. Prices are on the way up, but they are still a bargain, and don't dismiss the older single coated Super Takumar, still a great lens, and one I actually prefer for B&W.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin