Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,022   Online: 800

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    FilmOnly: Thanks so much for the info..now I can't wait for my XGM to arrive in the mail

bdilgard: Joining APUG has been known to have that effect on people

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    Some camera makers specifically EXCLUDE lithium batteries, even if the original requirements state silver oxide or alkaline manganese...Bronica is one example. They state "The performance of lithiums vary greatly, as there are several types. They can be engineered for high amp draw, and lower shelf life; or low amp draw, but longer shelf life. They have the potential for the highest energy density per volume of any low cost cell, but the trade off has been made, in "consumer" applications, for long shelf life. This allows these cells to be terrific for hearing aids, and pacemakers....but poor for an intermittent high amp draw requirement like a Bronica", and then specifically state "forget it" for both the SQ and GS-1 models, while the ETRS is "OK" for lithium.
    Odd! Mamiya recommended against lithium for years in their 645's but now claim they are fine just overkill as reg batteries work just as good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    and then specifically state "forget it" for both the SQ and GS-1 models, while the ETRS is "OK" for lithium.
    I just had a look in the Hove book "Complete Bronica Systems" and it quotes the use of a 6v silver oxide Px28 or lithium Px28L equivalent for the GS-1 as well as the ETRSi, so maybe the thinking has changed over time? I've only got SQ models though, so can't comment from experience of the others.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Collector View Post
    Odd! Mamiya recommended against lithium for years in their 645's but now claim they are fine just overkill as reg batteries work just as good.
    Olympus recommended for the OM-4 to not use lithium either. OM-4 is powered with two 1.5 volt silver oxide SR44, V76, 357 cells...but use of a 3 volt 1/3N lithium cell is not recommended

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Black View Post
    I just had a look in the Hove book "Complete Bronica Systems" and it quotes the use of a 6v silver oxide Px28 or lithium Px28L equivalent for the GS-1 as well as the ETRSi, so maybe the thinking has changed over time? I've only got SQ models though, so can't comment from experience of the others.
    My ETRSi original manual mentioned nothing about lithiums. I would trust Tamron (who bought Bronica after I purchased my two ETRSi bodies) http://www.tamron.com/bronica/batteries.asp more than I would trust a Hove books publication about the same product!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I suspect the reason why Olympus recommended not using the lithiums was due to them being exactly 3 volts, whereas two V76PX's provide 3.1 volts. If they also say that the alkaline LR44 batteries aren't recommended, then, I'd stick with the silver-oxides.

With all my Nikon bodies that take two V76PX's, I've found that they're all reliable with a CR 1/3N in place of said batteries. Even my very early F2 Photomic was fine with one installed in it. As was another even earlier F2 Photomic that I had as a loaner camera for a while. The only camera that I still use the V76PX's in for meter usage is my FT2, of course. That, and the MF-16 databack on my FM2n requires them. The other bodies that don't use the CR 1/3N are my Nikomat FTn's (one of which still uses the original style PX13 mercury - the other has been updated to use the Exell S625PX), and my F Photomic FTn, which, like the updated Nikomat FTn, uses the S625PX batteries.

So, with respect to the XG-M, if Minolta says it's ok to use the LR44 batteries in it, go ahead and pop a CR 1/3N in there.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin