Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,913   Posts: 1,521,690   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

3-volt Lithium Battery Okay in Minolta XG-M?

After regretting selling my Minolta XG-M, I am considering buying another. I have some new 3v lithium batteries on hand. I see the XG-M owner's manual mentions two 1.5- or 1.55-volt batteries. Are the 3-volt lithiums also accepatable, or will they somehow present problems? Personally, I never understood how there could be a difference, but some say there is. I know that zuiko.com says to use only 1.5v silver oxides in the OM series. Anyway, this is a Minolta, not an Olympus...
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 03-02-2010 at 08:12 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used 3V lithiums in several brands of cameras with no noticeable change in operation.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    if it fits it will work. Camera doesn't know that they are not separate batteries, it only wants 3 volts.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi filmonly.i'm thinking of buying an XGM myself.may i know why u regretted selling yours?is it an excellent camera?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, the 3V lithium batteries will work, and what's more, they will last longer! In one of the later Minolta manuals it even suggests to use the 3V lithium.

Jed

Shooter
    35mm

Many of the older cameras don't mention lithium batteries because they simply didn't exist then. They will work fine, most newer cameras list the 2 1.5 vdc or a 3 vdc lithium.

Shooter
    35mm
    I actually had two Minolta XG-Ms, and ended up selling both (to fund another purchase). I regret this because the XG-M is an excellent (and underrated), dirt-cheap camera. MC and MD lenses are equally nice. Many will say the X-570 is better because it shows the selected shutter speed in the finder...however, this speed is identified with a blinking light, and for me, a blinking light is a distraction. I have never needed to have the selected shutter speed in the finder, as I simply look at the speed dial. It has never been an issue for me (I use a Sekonic light meter 99% of the time anyway).

The XG-M seems to have better build (less plastic) than the X-700 or X-570. I highly recommend the XG-M. It is my favorite Minolta camera. If I had not bought an F3 yesterday, I would have purchased an XG-M. I like the accessories that go along with the F3, and the availability of parts, etc. for it. It is a much more expensive camera, though.

At some point, I may add an XG-M.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 03-04-2010 at 08:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i'm glad this came up. i bought a camera and it was dead..i read the instructions online and the cam took two 1.5v batts. So opened up the batt cave and a 3v was in it. Now i have to find out if the 3v is cheaper than two 1.5's. :P (not sure what :P means but it looks cool)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My XG-M was the only SLR I owned since buying it new while in college until I joined APUG. For some reason joining APUG caused me to start forming G.A.S. so it is not alone anymore. Its been used and abused and dunked in beer (ok that required a CLA afterwards) but keeps on working fine. Thanks for the battery tip, had not thought of that.
    Turning negative into positive since 1975

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some camera makers specifically EXCLUDE lithium batteries, even if the original requirements state silver oxide or alkaline manganese...Bronica is one example. They state "The performance of lithiums vary greatly, as there are several types. They can be engineered for high amp draw, and lower shelf life; or low amp draw, but longer shelf life. They have the potential for the highest energy density per volume of any low cost cell, but the trade off has been made, in "consumer" applications, for long shelf life. This allows these cells to be terrific for hearing aids, and pacemakers....but poor for an intermittent high amp draw requirement like a Bronica", and then specifically state "forget it" for both the SQ and GS-1 models, while the ETRS is "OK" for lithium.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin