Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,658   Online: 1016

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Another vote for the 50/1.8/AI and the 50/2/AI. Great lenses! And I have used most of the 50s from the late 60s on.
    -Fred

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't think there is any bad 50mm Nikkor.
    Micro Nikkor 55 f2.8 is bitingly sharp with good colours but I like 50 F1.4 Pre-AI for its buttery bokeh.
    Canon/Nikon/Contax/Mamiya/Olympus/Minolta/Praktica/Pentax/Pentacon/Zeiss/Yashica/Zorki/Kiev/Ricoh ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

An interesting question, and not easy to answer in a simple, straight forward manner. My thoughts are about the pre-AI, the AI, and the AIs series.

Others have already indicated that the tests have shown that the 50mm f/2.0 and the f/1.8 are probably the best performing lenses when we consider lens resolution, with the f/2.0 having a slight lead. Then the f/1.4 has a brighter finder image and is a little easier to focus, especially with eyes that have an excessive accumulation of years. The f/1.4 does give up something in resolution for that improvement in brightness and focusing ability.

Then we come to the f/1.2. This lens has the brightest viewfinder image and is the easiest to focus, especially in low light. If you are using a flashlight to read the dials on your light meter, this is the lens to have. It also has further compromises in the recorded image resolution, and there is the "minor problem" of what it will do to your wallet.

The faster lenses do seem to be roughly equal to the f/2.0 and the f/1.8 when we stop down to about f/5.6 and smaller, as I recall from some lens testing done about 30 years ago. The f/1.2 was more difficult to control with flare, and it benefits the most from keeping a good lens hood on the front in normal daylight.

For me and my eyes, I settled on the f/1.4 as the best compromise for a combination of ease of focusing and lens resolution in most of my selected apertures at an affordable price. In a studio where you have control of the lighting, the f/2.0 would be my choice. For something where you need the ability to focus sharply on a specific plane and have the rest of the image out in the "circle of confusion," then the f/1.2 Noct Nikkor may be worth the money for you. It all depends on what you want to emphasize for your style of photography, and the situations where you will be taking photographs.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The 50mm f/2 HC auto.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like this thread.

I can't believe nobody mentioned the little pancake.

My 50 stable: 50mm f/1.2 ais hunk of glass for shallow dof w/ light fall-off, a 45mm f/2.8 aip pancake for the awesome factor (it's got excellent contrast, by the way, colour pictures really shine) and of course a 55mm f/2.8 ais micro.

(incidentally, did you notice I got 50 posts with this reply? I had to edit to point this out!)
    Last edited by Colden; 03-03-2010 at 02:07 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Epiphany!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the pre- A1 50mm f2 HC auto, this is generally accepted to be aperture for aperture the best 50mm lens Nikon ever made .
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Vote for 50/2.0 AI, micro 55/2.8 with Reala (not for portrait) it's something special.Printing on Agfa analog minilab there is some 3D feeling .......;-)
    Franol

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The 50 nikker I got for working knocking plaster off walls for a day.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ai Nikkor 50/1.2 for the unique look it provides. Other 50mm's tend to look like each other.

50/1.2 is not very sharp, flares easier than other 50mm's and has a good deal of barrel distortion. If you are shooting architecture on tripod maybe then a smaller and dimmer 50mm will do.. but for me the 35mm system is meant be used in situations other gear just won't work, so I like the speed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like the AF 50mm 1.8 (non-D) made in Japan.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin