Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,662   Posts: 1,481,618   Online: 901

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Which Nikkor 50 Do You Prefer?

I know this subject has been tossed around here (even I have discussed it), but I am having a difficult time recalling some very informative opinions that were expressed here. Anyway, I do not mind using pre-AI lenses (I love their bulid quality), and AI lenses are fine, too. I tend to like a 50 that shows little or no distortion and that displays a good color range. I have used the Nippon Kogaku S 50/2, the pre-AI K 50/1.4, and the 50/1.8 AIS. Ultimately, speed is not of the essence, and so an F/2 lens is usually fine for most of my applications.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the most: 50mm f1.8 AF D and micro nikkor 55 f3.5.

Shooter
    35mm
    Early 50mm f/1.8 AI, with the longer barrel, not the smaller-barrel Nikkor lens that looks just like the Series E. The 50mm f/2 is also excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've tried most of them and in my personal opinion the 50/1.8Ais is the best one together with 55/3.5 (which one you choose depends on your style for the day).
    There are however a lot of good 50mm Nikkor lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use my 55 3.5 micro the most, however I have a 55 1.2, a few flavors of 1.4 from early to late and a 1.8E and they're all good. From an image quality standpoint, however, I miss my 2.0 that I had years ago. About as resistant to flare and sharp as a tack, good combo if you don't need the speed.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    As others have stated. Long nose Ai 1.8 is my pick for overall, but the S.C. 1.4 has nice color character and the H.C.f2 is excellent as well in color, plus works very well close up. If you just want one get the F2 or otherwise follow the above advice and get the 1.8 and the 3.5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    I use my 55 3.5 micro the most, however I have a 55 1.2, a few flavors of 1.4 from early to late and a 1.8E and they're all good. From an image quality standpoint, however, I miss my 2.0 that I had years ago. About as resistant to flare and sharp as a tack, good combo if you don't need the speed.
    Agreed on the 50/2.0 AI. If you can find this in good condition, buy it. I think it is the sharpest 50 Nikon has ever made, and what you give up in terms of speed is very small. How often do you shoot in 1.8 or 1.4 anyway?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Shawn. This lens is claimed to have a flatter focus field than the later 1.8 variants.

Shooter
    35mm

1.8D

Kodak Duaflex II with kodet lens
    N75 N8008s D60
    Yashica - D
    Only a photographer knows the true value of infinity

Shooter
    35mm
    50mm f1.8 AF. Mine is without the D. I don't care that it's so plasticky-Chinesey, it is dirt-cheap and SUPER SHARP. I remember years ago in Europe I got a decent-sized print made of a frame done with this lens at a very good B&W lab. On picking it up I took the print out to look. The printer was looking over my shoulder and said more to himself 'Ah oui, Leica'.... I turned to him and said 'Mais non monsieur, it was a Nikon'. He really didn't believe me. I don't use it as much as I probably should, even though I do believe in the worth of 'exercising' with a 50mm every so often.

PS - This is a while ago now, but for what it's worth, the shot was taken inside a lovely old cafe and was very likely wide open, yet it was still sharp sharp sharp sharp SHARP! If I was in front of my own computer right now I'd attach the pic. I'll see what I can do about that in 10 hours if I remember.
    Last edited by gamincurieux; 03-02-2010 at 06:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin