Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,925   Online: 787

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The EL2 is probably the best of the EL series. Nikon finally started using a flex circuit, instead of having everything hardwired, like they did on the EL/ELw cameras. The meter uses SPD cells, instead of the older CdS cells of the EL/ELw. It's essentially an FE in a Nikkormat form factor. That said, I'd rather go with an FE, since they are much more common, so if something breaks, there's more of a chance of a parts body which can donate the parts necessary to fix it. It also can use the MD-11/12 motor drives, which are an improvement over the AW-1. To counteract the weight issue with the MD-11/12, I use the energizer lithium AA batteries. They've the side benefit of adding a little extra speed to the frame rate.

With respect to the AW-1, if it made a quacking sound when fired, the nylon gear was stripped. That's also a common problem with later MD-2 and the MD-3 motor drives for the F2 series.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm RF
    John, are you saying that the MD-12 will work with the EL2?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Mike,

Unfortunately, the only way an MD-11 or 12 will work with any Nikkormat/Nikomat body is as a handgrip. What I was saying, was unless the OP needed both autoexposure and a mirror lockup, along with the ability to have a motor drive in a body that's a "consumer-grade" Nikon, that it'd be better to just get a more common FE and use that instead. Same camera, just in a nicer looking body that takes the more common S76 batteries in an easier to access location, but that doesn't have the mirror lockup.

-J
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    As for the EL2, the non-AI lens feature wouldn't apply as it is an AI body.
    I don't think anyone mentioned that the Nikon EL-2 is one of the few Nikon bodies with a movable AI coupling lever (just like the FE, FM, F3, and F4). There is a little button on the side of the lens mount, above the lens release button, that lets you move the lever out of the way, and then mount a non-AI lens for stop down metering. Nice cameras.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Oh heck, John. I was hoping to try bolting the MD-12 to the EL2.

I agree with your assessment, by the way. Indeed, the FE/FM is a much lighter weight package than the EL2.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    The thing about the EL2 is that it can be a battery hog. And it uses a somewhat costly 4LR44 6-volt battery.
    I love mine. It's the only camera I've ever extensively used with a winder and neither have ever given me a problem. The meter is good and the EL2 uses AI lenses (it was the first, new AI model, in fact.)

Can't say I've noticed the battery issue, though. I've had mine for 20+ years and if I've replaced the battery a half dozen times, I'd be surprised. The key is, don't leave it on. I turn mine off pretty much each time between shots unless I'm shooting more than a few frames a minute.
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wise move or not depends on the price. If it is inexpensive (>$50) then no problem, however, with the low cost of an F3 these days ($150), an F3 is probably a better choice.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Oh heck, John. I was hoping to try bolting the MD-12 to the EL2.

I agree with your assessment, by the way. Indeed, the FE/FM is a much lighter weight package than the EL2.
    Mike, feel free to try it. If it'll fit, then, maybe you could have someone modify the EL2 to use the 4-pin terminal for the MD-11/12 and get the shutter to fire with the motor drive's firing button. If you can, then, it'll be a nice package... I wonder, though, if it'd be easier to adapt a MD-3 to the EL2...

Anyway, I attached a pic of my chrome FTn with a MD-12 attached to it. Yes, the motor drive doesn't work on an FT series 'mat, but it sure makes a nice handgrip for use with longer lenses, like the 300f4.5 EDIF AIS Nikkor.

-J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3758421_1.jpg  

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I don't think anyone mentioned that the Nikon EL-2 is one of the few Nikon bodies with a movable AI coupling lever (just like the FE, FM, F3, and F4). There is a little button on the side of the lens mount, above the lens release button, that lets you move the lever out of the way, and then mount a non-AI lens for stop down metering. Nice cameras.
    Yes, but the EL and EL-W can use non-AI lenses in Auto mode which the
    EL-2 cannot. That was my point.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It can. It's just a little more complicated. You have to hold down the DOF preview while taking the shot, just like with an FE, F3, or F4. The good news, is that, if the non-AI lenses are new enough to have an AI ring available, some camera repair shops may still have the correct rings on hand to do the conversion. Or, an AI'd lens can sometimes be had for cheap, if the lens itself is junk, but the ring is still good. With certain non-AI lenses, it is actually possible to turn them into full AI lenses (except for the focusing ring's grip). Did that on two K-series Nikkors. A 50f2 and a 200f4. Bought junker AI lenses, took the aperture rings and the lens mount assemblies, and swapped them onto the K-series lenses. When I was done, the only two telltale signs that the lenses weren't originally AI, were the serial number, and the focusing ring grip. Both lenses had the lens speed sensing post that all factory AI and newer Nikkors come with. Unlike the "AI" 85f1.8 Nikkor that Nikon sold prior to the 85f2 coming out. That lens was just a factory AI'd lens sold as a stopgap measure until they had the 85f2 available.

-J

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin