Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,562   Posts: 1,573,331   Online: 1007

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Budget long tele lens- Mirror or classic lens?

Look for a 300 to 500mm tele lens to be used exclusively on a tripod for photographing details of gothic architecture.

Budget is small as I don't expect to use such a lens very often. Think about a Nikon 500mm Mirror Tele. Is this a good idea? Or do I need to invest a bit more in a classical tele lens?

Thanks

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a mirror lens and it "ok". You would have to spend major bucks do get a better glass lens. But then again it depends on how important it is to you. Spend lots of money on a VERY solid tripod though.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Can you live with donuts in the out-of-focus areas, and one f-stop? Then go for it. It's far lighter, too

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For that usage, you're probably okay with a mirror lens. I tried a Nikon 500mm/8.0 once years ago, and among mirror lenses, it's pretty sharp and if the mirror hasn't oxidized, it's probably closer to f:8 in light transmission than many cheaper mirror lenses. With architectural subjects you don't really need the speed of a refractive lens (as you would for wildlife), and you are likely to be far enough away from the details you are photographing that you won't have any out-of-focus donuts or double lines.

A sturdy tripod, solid head, cable release, and MLU are recommended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went through the same decision last year. The decline of prices for the 4/300mm AF (non AFS) made it affordable even for me. If you need to go even longer it works well with TCs.

Compared to the 8/500mm Reflex Nikkor this is a much better allround tele IMO, not that much more expensive and you certainly will be pleased by its performance.

Stefan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin