Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,164   Online: 782

Shooter
    35mm

Which Hood for My Nikkor 50/2 AI?

I found a nice Nikkor 50/2 AI (a lens I have never used or owned), and it is on the way. I see that the HS-2 and HS-6 are the correct hoods. I gather neither is a screw-in hood. I tend to like screw-in hoods. Anyway, which hood should I buy?

Shooter
    35mm
    Those are snap-on hoods, not screw-in. I believe the HS-6 was the one made for the Ai version of that lens, but either should work fine.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You can use the rubber HR-1, which screws in and can be collapsed, or I often use the HN-7, all metal screw in, a bit long but doesn't clip and helps out here in strong backlit.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The HN-5 is meant for the 50's. Personally, I haven't had issues with the HS-2's (or even the older "F Nikkor 50/2" version). It does come in handy to be able to store the hood reversed on the lens. Helps keep the focusing ring from getting damaged, if the camera happens to be dropped while the hood is attached.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yet to come across an HN-5. And still looking for an HN-14.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm
    I appreciate the comments. What is a "snap-on" hood? I am familiar with the clamp-on and bayonet types, but am unsure as to what "snap-on" would designate.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 03-05-2010 at 09:58 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The front element is reasonably deep, so the need for a hood is not that bad.

The snap-on hoods snap on. They have a little lock button you press to release. I have one on my 105/2.5 AI. They will mount to a filter, which is nice, whereas the screw-in filters require your filter (if you're using one) to have threads.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The snap-on hood is basically just a threaded hood with a broken thread. You have a pressure button which you use to depress the hood threads inwards. After releasing the button the hood threads are secured against the filter threads on the lens. I find it pointless and if you have the option for a screw-in hood just use that. The hoods don't have a reason to be removed with the small size of manual Nikkors.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin