Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,983   Online: 880

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Value Filters for B&W

About six months ago I though I had a great Idea, buy a couple of filter adapters so I can use 58mm filters on my small set of 35mm Pentax lenses and grab the appropriate filters from the used selection of the stores in the area.

So far the ONLY filters I have found are K2 (yellow) and only for 49mm. Luckily that covers the lens that is on my camera 70% of the time. The local stores have BOXES of UV filters, but not much else. I went so far as to start searching for crap cameras with filters on eBay before I came to my senses and realized that these are most likely scratched.

However now I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to buy these new (Yellow-Green, Orange, Red, 2 and 4 stop ND, and Polarizer).

It looks like B+W Filters from Adorama are the cheapest available, but is the quality decent, and are there other "value" brands or places to purchase grey market that I should consider?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i'm new to the game so i bought some used filters from b&h. you might check out KEH online as well. both rate their used merchandise. I also bought some from ebay...46mm to fit my old school point n shoots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try the used camera shows in your area. In this area they go by the name of 'Photorama' - I think the shows get to Virginia.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have B+W filters they are well made from high quality glass in brass rings. Heliopan filters are also made from Shott glass in brass rings.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Keep looking, Randy. They are out there, and not so expensive. Analogue photography goes hand-in-hand with those other addictive passtimes: garage-saling, storage-unit auctioning, Craiglisting, and general scrounging.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with Focus No. 9 above - you should look at KEH. They have an enormous and usually very cheap selection of used filters.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Randy, Here is a source for NOS filters. Tim sells at photo fairs here in the BayArea and online.

http://www.filterfind.net/Whats_News.html

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B+W filters are not a "value" brand, but a high quality brand of filters made in Germany by the same people that make Schneider lenses. Some B+W filters have better coatings and are more expensive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    B+W is a good brand, but even the cheaper brand multicoated filters will outperform an expensive brand of single coated or non-coated filters.

I periodically throw in a nice B+W MRC filter to an order when I can spare the $40. That way I slowly build my filter collection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    B&W, Formatt and Heliopan are all top notch and are all I'll use.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin