Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,736   Online: 842

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canon Ec-S screen on EOS 3

Hello,

I just got an EOS 3 today. Nice camera. I want to get the Ec-S screen for it. I notice that it is not listed as being for the EOS 3, however.

1. Will it install into the EOS 3?
    2. If it installs, will it auto focus?
    3. Can the camera be set to have an accurate meter with this screen? (I normally abhor in-camera meters, but will likely want to use the spot pattern from time to time.)

Thank you in advance.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    It will autofocus because this is independent from the screen.
    It will probably install since the 3 and the 1 series share the same screens, the Ec series.
    Regading the exposure, I guess you will have to try. You might be able to link some information from the 1D manual for this screen to a screen listed for the EOS3.

What's wrong with the standard screen of the 3?
    Regards,
    Andreas

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    from http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/t...1/report.html:

The Super precision matte Ec-S screen was developed together with the EOS-1D Mark II N to make manual focusing easier with f/2.8 or larger aperture lens.

Note: Since the diffusion characteristic of the matte surface is different from the existing Ec-series focusing screens, C.Fn-00-2 is necessary to use the Ec-S. It cannot be used with EOS-1D series cameras other than the EOS-1D Mark II N because correct exposure cannot be guaranteed.
    Looks like an additional exposure compensation is necessary or a trip for recalibration the meter.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That description by Canon is exactly my problem. It only talks of the screen in terms of the digital cameras.

The stock focusing screen, and all of the optional ones except the Ec-S, only show the depth of field of f/2.8 (or even smaller apertures, in the case of the screens designed for even slower lenses), yet any lens I will be using on the camera will be faster than f/2.8. I always try to switch to this type of focusing screen if it is available for the camera. I prefer my focusing screen to have as thin a depth of field as possible. I even want to custom install one of the type S screens for the 40D and 50D into my 10D.

My guess is that the screen will install, will autofocus, but will not meter properly.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey there. I'm interested to know how it went using the EC-S on the EOS 3. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never got to it. I have never got 100 percent verification from anyone working in a camera store that the 1Ds screens will fit an EOS 3, nor have I been able to find one in stock at a local store. But I have not contacted Canon yet. I haven't really pursued this with gusto. Sorry.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, they'll fit fine but the metering will be off a bit. Just adjust the EC a bit, no biggie.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have one in an EOS 3?
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No but they use the same focus screens as my 1-series bodies so I'm confident they'll fit and work.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So am I. But this is a later screen, and I don't want to spend the money until I hear someone with authority describe exactly what I am getting myself into. I will contact Canon eventually. Not a priority right now. Thanks for the input.
    2F/2F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin