Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,231   Online: 832

Shooter
    35mm

Can I use this lens on...

Good afternoon everyone,

I have not made a proper intoduction as yet (apologies), but it is on the way!

Today, I have a trial of a 1970 Nikon F Photomic FTn (every thing works as it should and it looks immacuate). My question:

I have been shooting digital and have enjoyed the cheap and cheeful Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8D (which I bought new). Can I use it on the above Nikon F with no fear of damaging either? If yes, will I experience any 'crippling' of the lenses abilities (or the Nikon F's)?

Thank you for reading

I look forward to your answers

Best Wishes

Alistair

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes, but the lens will not 'index' with the F's meter prism. You'd have to have the lens modified so the aperture ring communicates to the camera. Optically it will work fine.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    To use the meter you would need the lens to be fitted with the fork coupler - an earlier lens may be as cheap as the conversion.
    And would look less incongruous on the camera IMHO

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,

Just to say thanks for the replies and to let you know that I have used the lens (as mentioned earlier) with a handheld meter and as was told it works perfectly on the Nikon F Photomic (FTn left switched off)

Once again, thank you

Alistair

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Alistair, to see which lenses are fully compatible try this site...
    http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/niko...no.html#50fast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can also use a Nikon lens without the "fork" on the FTn stopped down...

Just press in the Photomic's coupling tab until it snaps to f/5.6 on the index scale, then press the DOF button to use the lens in stop-down mode.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you to all for your answers and ideas/pointers.

Very helpful indeed.

Regards

Alistair

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stop-down metering is fine in most situations.
    Having the coupler put on should not be expensive if you choose to-the lens has two little guide holes on it already, so it's quick for a good repairman. I don't know if the coupler would interfere on your other cameras, so that is something to check.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm looking at my copy of this lens as I write this. There are indeed two small indentations directly beneath the f/4 and f/8 marks on the aperture ring, indicating the position of the screw holes for the forked coupler. These are blind holes though and will need to be drilled and tapped to accept the mounting screws for the coupler. Tapping the threads into the hole may even be superfluous. The aperture ring on this lens is a relatively soft plastic and the steel screws should be able to act as self tapping screws. Any competent camera repair guy should be able to do this easily. In fact it looks to be a pretty easy DIY job if you have the tools. As for the forked coupler interfering with other cameras, all I can say is that is doesn't with my N90 or F100. I've used AI and AIS lenses with couplers on the F4 or F5 cameras, and there is no problem with these cameras either. Can't say for sure about the other models, but I think not. If it does, it's easy enough to remove the coupler (only two screws hold it in place) with a jewelers screwdriver. The hard part will be locating a coupling fork. These are hard to find since they've been out of production for a long time.
    Frank Schifano

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin