Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,763   Online: 1071

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon FE2/MD-12 Film Loading Question

I had a Nikon FE/MD-12 combo--which I liked very much--but gave it up because I got frustrated with its film loading procedure. The camera did not let me advance the film while I had the MD-12 attached. This was rather bothersome, as I like to keep the drive attached continuously. I had asked some other users about this, and I was told that this is normal behavior for the FE--that it gets "confused" when the drive is attached.
    Anyway, should I expect the same from an FE2?

Also, I like the M250 feature (as opposed to the slower M90 feature), but I have heard that the FE2's battery check is not as good as that of the FE.

I welcome any comments.

Shooter
    35mm
    I shut off the MD-12 when loading and start manually and have never had a problem. I personally like my FE-2 better than my FM2n.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have an FE2 with an MD-12 attached and I'm able to load film while leaving the motor drive attached. The only time I've ever taken off the motor drive is to replace the camera battery.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I used one for years with an FM-2 and never had a problem loading film. Not sure about an FE. The MD-12 can get out of sync with the camera--usually by pushing the button on the motor while it is off the camera. If you take the motor off the camera and touch the contacts with a screw-driver you can cause it do different things that will change the position of the winding pins in relation to the slot on the camera body.....make sure they line up correctly. Doing this is basically causing a short of sorts, but I never saw any detrimental effects. Also you have to attach the drive to a body that is already cocked, if I remember correctly. i used to just get the film leader into the slot, then use the winder to advance a frame or two before closing the back. You have to be careful to make sure the leader doesn't slip out, our you will end up with a blank roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always just used the motor drive to advance the film while loading. It's a lot faster than doing so manually, and I tend to use the motor drive when I want to speed up shooting so the saved time is a good thing in those circumstances.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    I appreciate the replies.

I, too, would favor the FE2 over the FM2n. I had an FM2n briefly, and did not like the bulge on the left for the shutter speed. A 93% or so viewfinder is about as far from 100% as I could go, let alone another "blackout" area for a shutter speed. If I want to know what speed I have set, I can just check the dial.

Shooter
    35mm
    If the moter drive (MD-12) is off while loading, you'll have no problem. I rarely turn my MD-12 on. But it rarely leaves my FE-2.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never had any problem advancing the film with the MD12 when I loaded my FE2. Put the film in, close the back, fire two shots, and I was good to go.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've always used a MD-11 or MD-12 on one of my FM/FE series bodies, but usually would leave it turned off while loading, since it wasn't really needed. Like what Russ (KK) said, I usually have a drive attached, but don't usually have it on.

One thing I always do, no matter what MF Nikon I'm shooting, is to rotate the takeup spool by hand until the leader has wrapped around the spool once. Then, I close the back and fire my two shots, leaving the camera uncocked when I'm done. That is, unless I'm loading in the field and will be shooting immediately after I load the camera up.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F FTn, FM2n, Nikomat FT2, Nikkormat FT3 - all blk bodies
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (for DPUG), 28/3.5 H, 35/2 O, 35-135/3.5-4.5 AF, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.4 SC, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS

My FB - My flickr stream

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never a problem with my FE and MD-12. I also like better the FM2 and FE2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin