Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,445   Online: 834

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Irvine View Post
    The lens darkens in steps as you turn it down. According to the manual, there are two CdS cells. I assume they would both have to be broken to have no response.

Does anybody know where there may be a service manual or repair manual available? It's not obvious how to get to the meter area and I don't want to end up with a pile of parts and me no longer remembering where they go.
    Those are silicon blue cells. They have a small transistorized amplifying circuit. The cells and circuitry tend to be very reliable. It's far more likely to be corroded battery contacts or a corroded wire leading from them, or a bad meter switch. Possible also is the ASA dial mentioned earlier. Working it through its range might help if the problem is corrosion.

Try it at different ASA settings and work the meter switch some and see if that clears it up. BTW, a CLA on that camera is not terribly expensive.
    Last edited by lxdude; 03-14-2010 at 08:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, I have an ST701 myself, and I believe you'll be glad to know you're not the only one experiencing the problem you mentioned. My camera does the same thing when I try to get a meter reading. Very weird and erratic. Pity because the needle is so lively, but it gives dubious readings. No matter what I do, it stays up all the time, or it just goes up a little and stay somewhere in the middle. I've tried all sorts of batteries with it, thinking I was using the wrong type. I've tried using Maxell SR936SW (silver oxide, works fine with my SPotmatic, so I assumed it'll work with the 701..no cigar), hearing aid size 675 zinc air (also a no-go) and some others. Have yet to try the Wein Cells RM400. Maybe it'll work, or maybe not. Do keep us posted on any new findings you might uncover regarding this baffling issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It occurs to me, it could be the galvanometer (part that moves the needle) itself.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you scroll up to ic-racer's post, you will find a link to thi repair manual for the very similar ST705, http://www.pentax-manuals.com/fujica...705_repair.pdf. In the troubleshooting section they list the problem "Meter needle deflects continuously". The only thing considered under this step is the Amplifier. Also all the other meter troubleshooting steps eventually lead to the amplifier. I think the amplifier is the most likely problem.

There are diagrams and a description of how to get to it, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

Shooter
    35mm

Check the batteries!!!

I am renovating an ST701 for a relative & came up with this problem too. I replaced the mercury 1.3v cells with Duracell D394 1.5v & used the very good 'battery fix' guide posted here:

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/fujica/fujica.htm

(tip: Do remove battery cover before disassembly & line the battery chamber with waxed card cut from a juice carton)

I discovered, to my suprise, that the batteries must be inserted in the reverse of the more obvious direction, the + being the base of the battery chamber. The meter now works fine, after tuning the amplifier as described in the guide.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm using the Wein batteries that I BH (I think it was) had. I'm still not ready to tackle the amplifier.
    "If you haven't noticed it, cameras procreate"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How long does it last, John? The meter on mine is still wonky...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    They've been in the camera since the end of last year and will still deflect the meter. Since the meter still does not respond to changes in f stop, I can only assume they are working correctly. They look like small hearing aid batteries with a black plastic collar on them to fit the camera compartment. As I recall, they weren't as expensive as Wein cells usually are.
    "If you haven't noticed it, cameras procreate"

Shooter
    35mm

ST701 - possible "meter" fix.

I've been using two of the tiny hearing aid batteries stacked on top of each other with a small rubber washer around each of them to "hold them in place" inside the battery compartment. After sitting idle for perhaps 25 years, it finally came back to life.

My 701 meter went right to the top and stayed there. After much cycling with the aperture ring and shutter speeds - still no joy - until I finally "flipped" my batteries.

I'm on my second set of batteries now in about a year. I'm using size 312 and the rubber washers were procured from Lowes that came in a blister pack of 25. My experience is that after a fresh insert, it takes a few minutes before these hearing aid batteries "come to life."

My 701 now meters well enough that I had the confidence to shoot a few rolls of E-6 and they all were nicely exposed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    cenpengenxer: Thanks for your input. So after you've flipped your batteries, the meter worked as it should..i.e correctly? And just to clarify..you're using hearing aid batteries of the size 312?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin