Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,211   Online: 787

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Fujica ST701 Meter Problem

I have a Fujica ST701 with a meter problem. It has fresh batteries and the meter needle responds to pressing the Meter Exposure Switch. It swings up as described in the owners manual. However, changing the apperature and/or shutter speed does not move the needle. It remains in it's up position.

Any ideas on the problem and a correction?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does it use stop-down metering? If it does, does the lens stop down when you activate the meter?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, it uses stop down metering. How to use it from the manual:
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/fujica/...-2.htm#CORRECT

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am using the manual from Butkus. The lens meters down when you press the button and when you fire the shutter. The meter needle swings upward when you press the button and stays in that position as long as you hold the button down. Changing the aperature with the button depressed does not move the needle from the up position.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Irvine View Post
    Changing the aperature with the button depressed does not move the needle from the up position.
    Does the viewfinder darken (is the lens stopping down?) If so, then there is probably a short somewhere or the meter cell has failed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does the lens stop down when you take the picture? Could be a bad aperture mechanism in the lens. When the lens is off, does the plunger for the aperture come outward, like it is supposed to, when you press the button? Does the plunger come outward when you take a picture?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Likely causes:

• Corroded or broken solder connection
    • Failed CdS cell
    • Failed ASA/Shutter speed potentiometer
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The lens darkens in steps as you turn it down. According to the manual, there are two CdS cells. I assume they would both have to be broken to have no response.

Does anybody know where there may be a service manual or repair manual available? It's not obvious how to get to the meter area and I don't want to end up with a pile of parts and me no longer remembering where they go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Irvine View Post
    The lens darkens in steps as you turn it down. According to the manual, there are two CdS cells. I assume they would both have to be broken to have no response.

Does anybody know where there may be a service manual or repair manual available? It's not obvious how to get to the meter area and I don't want to end up with a pile of parts and me no longer remembering where they go.
    Ok I see, so it does stop down ok. The cells would likely need to be shorted to have the needle always go up. Did it ever work? Is the ASA set on the highest setting?

I had a 701 back in 1973 and used it for many years. I'd consider it a $25 camera nowdays and get another to use then take this one down and try to fix it. In the end you likely will have 2 working cameras and learn enough to keep them both going a long time.

Here are some 701 repair notes: http://www.pentax-manuals.com/fujica/fujica.htm

Here is the 705 repair manual, it might be similar enough to get you going (see page 86 for the meter): http://www.pentax-manuals.com/fujica...705_repair.pdf
    Last edited by ic-racer; 03-14-2010 at 06:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "Did it ever work?" "It used to" so they say. It was a $25 camera with 4 lenses so it's not unexpected.

"Is the ASA set on the highest setting? Used several in the 100 to 800 range, indoors, outdoors.

Thanks for the manual info. I'll go get them and think about getting inside.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin