Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,639   Online: 1205

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Problem with Minolta SRT200 - Half Black Prints

I recently started shooting film and picked up a Minolta SRT200 for next to nothing. The camera appears to work fine except the when I take pictures outside with bright sun, the bottom half of the print is black. Any odea what this could be caused by?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK. What kind of film? Flash? Shutter speed/ aperture? Lens type and make? Fresh batteries and clean contacts? Need more input. And visual examples would be bonus.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Shutter problem, assuming that camera has a vertical running shutter. CLA should be in order.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nope, this one is horizontal curtain movement. That's why I would REALLY like to see an example. My first guess would be flash photography with a wide angle lens and no diffuser. We shall see.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm

SRT200 Problem

The SRT cameras have horizontally running cloth shutters. When the bottom half of a photo was blank and you were using a camera with a vertically running shutter it usually meant you were using flash and had the shutter speed set at 1/250 rather than 1/125. In your case I suspect there is a mirror problem. When the camera is working properly the mirror flips up and is completely out of the way. The lens then closes down to the selected aperture and them a slit runs across the film plane. If the bottom of the print is dark then the top of the film is not getting exposed. It could be that your mirror is not flipping up all the way and is blocking light from the top half of the film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Make that then.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    True, bottom half of the print, top half of the negative inside the camera. Could be a sticky mirror/ reflex system.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Come on. We're dyin' here.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had this problem years ago with a Minolta SR-7. The mirror is not swinging up and out of the way fast enough. Remember that the image is inverted in the camera so the mirror in the way at the top shows up [shows down?] in the bottom of the photograph. Time for a CLA [Clean, Lubricate and Adjust].

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You say the problem is in bright sun.

If the problem only happens at fast shutter speeds - 1/500 and above, say - then the problem may be that the edge of the shutter curtain isn't vertical. This is usually a problem if someone has tried their first DIY shutter curtain replacement.

Otherwise the problem is in the mirror not rising out of the way. If it is a mirror problem it would manifest at all shutter speeds, though it may be less an effect at speeds lower than the flash synchronization speed if the problem is that the mirror isn't rising fast enough.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin