Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,610   Online: 687

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Photomic FTn meter repair?

Greetings everyone...
    The metered prism finder of one of my Nikon F's seems to have bit the dust. Could anyone out there recommend a repair service that is good with Photomic FTn meter repairs? There are times when I really like the convenience of having the light meter built right into my camera!
    Thanks much,
    Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you can find one listed on eBay, getting a used prism is sometimes cheaper than a repair.

That said, I can recommend two shops in my area if you ship the prism to them:

Strauss Technical Service
    http://www.spts.com/

and Pro Photo

1902 I Street Northwest
    Washington, DC 20006
    (202) 223-1292

http://photo.net/neighbor/view-one?n...ighbor_id=9644
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was afraid of that first solution...
    Thanks for the recommendations

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Jim;

I agree that Strauss Photo Technical Service in Washington, D. C. is a good place to try, although it has been 40 years since I was in there.

There is another shop in California, I think in the San Francisco area, that is highly regarded relative to the repair of the older Photomic finders for the Nikon F. I will check for their name and address, but it might take me until Monday to get it, if I cannot find it in one of my records here. While their work is highly regarded, it has been noticed that finding another Photomic finder on eek-bait is a more wallet friendly solution. Then again, when you get a Photomic back from them, it does operate just as a new one would, and with the protective coating they put on the variable resistor, it will continue to operate just as a new one for a very long time.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ralph
    I would be interested in finding out the name of that shop... It would be nice to get some more years out of that meter

Shooter
    35mm

FTN repair

There is supposed to be a place in Manhattan which can repair FTN meters. At one time Cameraquest advertised that it could repair them too. If I make it to the Secind Sunday Camera Show in Wayne, NJ tomorrow I will see if I can get more information.

Shooter
    35mm
    Make that Second.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Pete Smith of FOTOCAMERA REPAIR at 3095 S Military Trail # 16, Lake Worth, Florida 33463 has done excellent work on my Nikon F, and he re-calibrated my FTN finder a few years ago. He's the only person I trust with the older Nikon F cameras. Give him a call at 561-433-8434.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To expand the search --

Any recommendations for repair of F2 metered finders - specifically a DP-11?
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There's a guy by the name of Robert Decker who services the Photomic finders for the F. I think he may also do the F2 finders as well. That said, it might be worthwhile contacting the "Yoda" of Nikon F2 repairs, Sover Wong. He bought out all of Nikon's spare parts inventory of F2 parts when Nikon decided it was time to get rid of them. It might be worth sending the whole camera to him for a standard service (about $200, plus shipping to the UK and back). You'll get back a Nikon F2A that's in brand new condition, mechanically, and, possibly cosmetically as well. In some respects, it'll be better than new, since the shutter will be within 1/4 stop, instead of the 1/2 stop that Nikon calibrated it for when new.

Sover's site: http://soverf2repair.webs.com/

From John White's AI conversions.com website:

Robert Decker's Meter Repair: Robert can help you if you have a meter for an F or F2 that needs repair. Contact him at drwyn@aol.com.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin