Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,222   Online: 953
      
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51
  1. #11
    snaggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    325
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It seems to me that the O.P. is more into status symbols than photography.
    The Hermes MP on ebay is used, and about half the new cost, otherwise I wouldn't consider it. I does look pretty though!

    The reason I went with a M9, is its the only camera system which is committed to remaining manual and compact. I've been waiting years for the FM3D and it aint ever coming!

    Hermes MP and M9? Yes, please sell all that useful Nikon equipment so someone can put it to real actual use. Exactly what are you looking for in photography?
    To answer other posters questions, the reason I'm consolidating is that I only want to keep things I use. After trying all different types of photography, I find that there wasn't much I can't do with my FM3a and 35mm lens.

    Not really interested in sports, macro or landscapes anymore. I can always pull out my view camera if I want to do a serious landscape.

    Theres a good chance I'll never take the 35 cron off the M9. However, I have heaps of Astia in the fridge, and some bulk rolls of HP5.. hence the MP idea.

    I guess I could just keep the FM3a with the 85mm f/1.4 on.

    PS. Borrowed a M8.2 today.. makes nice pix without having to spend anytime in photoshop (which I detest!)


  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Hermes MP and M9? Yes, please sell all that useful Nikon equipment so someone can put it to real actual use. Exactly what are you looking for in photography?
    Yet another smartarse comment from clayne.

    Now snaggs, back to you........ I can't afford to buy an M9 at the moment unfortunately (that's no reference to the fact that you can, good luck to you I say!), so I just bought myself a Nikon D700. However, I don't look at it as a '2nd best' buy at all, no no, because I use the F4 (with small battery pack) for film and the D700 is for me the closest to it in handling & size etc etc, plus the fact that it has a full-size sensor. Kind of like how I imagine the transition from the using the M6 to the M9 would be. I also use an M6, with 28mm & 35mm lenses, plus I got an adapter to use my Nikon 20mm lens on it if need be.

    So, I plan on using the D700 for color, and Leica for black & white film (I might convert a color file to B&W, but I'll never actually set out to shoot B&W in digital, NEVER!). Something like that anyway I think my digital Nikon - film Leica mix work out nicely. It's kind of making the most of what I got.

    And, like you, this latest purchase means that I will have to do some consolidating of my gear. I think eventually I'll be offloading any film Nikon gear. I'll have to sell some stuff that I really don't want to sell. I don't want to sell anything. I don't want to sell my pristine F3HP, nor my 'short-wheel base' F4's. But I'm not using them, and I'm not about to start collecting, so I will sell some things. It will go a long way to help pay off the D700, and should get me a couple other useful things I've got my eye on (like a 21mm lens for the Leica so I don't have to use the 20mm Nikon on the M6).

    I'll get rid of Nikon gear before Leica any day.

    It's up to you which Leica film body you get yourself, that's your business, but if offloading your Nikon gear gets you the ultimate digital/film Leica kit of your dreams, then sell sell sell the Nikon stuff

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    297
    OK, I might keep an F4..... but the other F4 and the F3 and some other bits & pieces can go

  4. #14
    darkosaric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,471
    Keep the nikon. I enjoy more shooting with nikon F3 and 50mm nikkors than with leica M6 and summicron 50. I am probably in minority thou ...

  5. #15

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toledo
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    87
    i'd use some of those lenses, no problem!

    I have one lens and two camera bodies.
    Toledo Camera Trader and photojournalist

  6. #16
    mhcfires's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    545
    For a Leica film body, find an M2. You say you like manual, the M2 needs no battery, I personally feel that it is one of the best. An M4 is easier loading, you might prefer it. It will ultimately be your decision. Do what you feel is best for your style of shooting. The Hermes is fancy, overpriced, even at half price on fleabay. You can get an M4 or M2 in great shape and a few lenses for the price of that Hermes.

    Just my 2¢.
    Michael Cienfuegos


    If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

  7. #17
    eddym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,927
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by gamincurieux View Post
    Yet another smartarse comment from clayne.
    And just what's wrong with smartarse comments?
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

  8. #18
    snaggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    325
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gamincurieux View Post
    OK, I might keep an F4..... but the other F4 and the F3 and some other bits & pieces can go
    hahaha, someone who understands the mind makes decisions which the heart starts to undermine and visa versa!

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    And just what's wrong with smartarse comments?
    Clayne's post was sneeringly typical in tone. It is plain rude to out-rightly question someone's purpose in photography like that, to write someone off, just because he's got himself an M9 and wants to get another model that will probably cost just as much. The man might be a dentist or anaesthetist, but he also might be a factory worker who's saved. Either way, how dare anyone all of a sudden question the man's photography like that! Is that all you wanted to ask me? Have you something to add to the thread?

  10. #20
    clayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,838
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by gamincurieux View Post
    Clayne's post was sneeringly typical in tone. It is plain rude to out-rightly question someone's purpose in photography like that, to write someone off, just because he's got himself an M9 and wants to get another model that will probably cost just as much. The man might be a dentist or anaesthetist, but he also might be a factory worker who's saved. Either way, how dare anyone all of a sudden question the man's photography like that! Is that all you wanted to ask me? Have you something to add to the thread?
    At the risk of sounding arrogant, both Eddy and myself are capable of offering photography that shows we're beyond the camera used. The entire point is that the combined cost of those cameras (MP+M9) could buy a lot of film for someone who wants to imprint something useful on it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

    http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin