Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,859   Posts: 1,583,126   Online: 851

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Just let the man do his thing Dude!

Shooter
    35mm
    If money is not a problem then sell what you don't use and get what you want. Bare in mind once you sell what you have it will be hard to find the quality products that you get rid of. You know what condition the cameras and lenses you currently have and you probably cannot find items in as good condition as current items. Good luck with your choice.
    I currently have Nikon F100w/85mm1.8, Canon EOS 1N-HS, Mamiya645E, Pentax K1000, and a bunch of lenses for each. I won't part with any of them and I use all my film stuff. Digital is all Canon 20D 40D, 5D. Looking for a rangefinder myself!!LOL (Like I need another camera!!!)

Fred

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    At the risk of sounding arrogant, both Eddy and myself are capable of offering photography that shows we're beyond the camera used. The entire point is that the combined cost of those cameras (MP+M9) could buy a lot of film for someone who wants to imprint something useful on it.
    Had a look at some of the photo's on your site, lovely.

And of course you are right about not needing expensive camera's, one of my best photo's was taken with a demo plastic F65 I bought on clearance.

However, now that I have a choice;

I like to buy things which are made by people
    I like old world construction
    I'm against the destruction of first the english and now european and american manufacturing.

Wherever I have an option to buy a locally made shirt etc, I will boycott made in China.

Leica is the embodiment of historic manufacturing values, Nikon used to as well, before they put into retirement their AIS manufacturing team.

The reason I'm now buying Leica, is Nikon will never transition MF and old world build quality into digital. It won't be sitting in the box.

Daniel.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    I've paid for a M9 and have been waiting around like everyone else. I bought a 2nd hand 35 cron asph and borrowed a M8.2 to play with. Wow, this is the handling that I wanted in a digital. Simple mechanical like my FM3a.

Now the question is, I have a bunch of Nikon stuff, and if I ebayed the lot, I could buy the Hermes MP + 35 cron thats on ebay atm.

28mm AI-S PC-Nikkor (NIB, never got round to using it!)
    35mm AI-S f/1.4
    85mm AI-S f/1.4
    Nikon F6
    Nikon FM3a & the rare tiny SB-30
    Nikon AI-P 45mm

Its hard to sell things you like, but I would have a film body to accompany my M9 and all one system.

Do you think it would be a dumb move?

Daniel.
    If I were you, I would keep the FM3a and either the 35 or 45mm lens just in case. I'm pretty sure there will be moments when you think Leica is too much (for traveling, under bad weather, etc), so keep the Nikon as a nice durable backup kit if you can.

And when you think about the repair cost and time, the Nikon is much cheaper and quicker than the Leica as you probably already know...

Shooter
    35mm
    The FM3 + 45mm lens is a nice small set-up and is (relatively) cheap. Could be useful for those places where you don't feel comfortable carrying expensive equipment.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At the risk of sounding arrogant, both Eddy and myself are capable of offering photography that shows we're beyond the camera used. The entire point is that the combined cost of those cameras (MP+M9) could buy a lot of film for someone who wants to imprint something useful on it.
    It is a pretty common assumption/assertion that the "true artist" doesn't care a fig for his tools, provided they will perform the job that he requires of them. But, if you can afford it, choosing or enjoying your tools for additional reasons beyond pure functionality (eg aesthetics, manufacturer values, etc) is not necessarily inconsistent with being or becoming master of your art.

It is nice that you consider yourself "beyond the camera used" but the implied criticism of the OP is a touch arrogant.

The Hermes MP is expensive, but it is a high quality camera and a beautiful object. Lots of people who would instinctively object to that expense in a camera (which will last a lifetime) would readily drop just as much cash on unnecessary optional extras every time they upgrade to a boring new car. (Or, due to regular attacks of GAS, actually have much more cash tied up in large collections of under-used cameras and lenses.)

Should the OP buy a Holga and send the difference in price to a struggling artist somewhere?

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    The entire point is that the combined cost of those cameras (MP+M9) could buy a lot of film for someone who wants to imprint something useful on it.
    Go buy your own film...... Dude!!!!
    Last edited by gamincurieux; 03-15-2010 at 06:01 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Forgot to put Dude

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    Had a look at some of the photo's on your site, lovely.

And of course you are right about not needing expensive camera's, one of my best photo's was taken with a demo plastic F65 I bought on clearance.

However, now that I have a choice;

I like to buy things which are made by people
    I like old world construction
    I'm against the destruction of first the english and now european and american manufacturing.

Wherever I have an option to buy a locally made shirt etc, I will boycott made in China.

Leica is the embodiment of historic manufacturing values, Nikon used to as well, before they put into retirement their AIS manufacturing team.

The reason I'm now buying Leica, is Nikon will never transition MF and old world build quality into digital. It won't be sitting in the box.

Daniel.
    Daniel, I'm with you on the China thing - but don't play into Leica's marketing tactics. Things like limited edition and x edition Leicas are designed for collectors and other non-photographers. Buy an M6, M4, M2, whatever, just buy a decent Leica and be done with it.

Oh, and do NOT get rid of the SLR. Rangefinders can't handle everything, e.g. I couldn't imagine using my RF for ultra-wide stuff or anything involving a telephoto (which honestly I use rarely). I always have an M4 and an F3. Occasionally either/or, but RFs are definitely not to the exclusion of SLRs.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    That's much better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Clayne said it right. Why Hermes MP, why not "plain" MP? As much as new Hermes is more expensive than "plain" MP, that much secondhand is too. Or not, secondhand could be even more expensive as those are made as clayne sad for collectors, and add nothing to functionality. I am sure that for price of secondhand Hermes for example 5 years old MP you can buy regular 2 years old MP, send it in Solms to CLA, checking and repairing if something need to be repaired, all that for price of Hermes. Don't forget, when buying secondhand RF cameras it is good practice to send it to CLA. SLR you may or may not, but RF should be sent to CLA. And, that cost a bit if it is done at authorized place. Add that cost to price of camera and Hermes by mine opinion is not reasonable decision if you are interested only in functional Leica. If you are interested in looks of camera and/or status as much as in functionality, then buy Hermes. In fact, if you can afford, buy new Hermes. But if you just manage to get money for secondhand Leica, then regular, younger, CLA'd and checked/repired MP by mine opinion is better choice.

And, wouldn't be better to buy regular MP, add a little and to buy another (Leica) lens instead of Hermes?

Whatever you decide, good luck.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin