Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,923   Posts: 1,584,985   Online: 1114

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah Smith View Post
    Brave choice, my man, but you stuck to your guns. Time will tell if it was the right move - I for one have bounced around through tons of gear, and there are some I wish I never bought, and more I wish I ne er sold. . .
    But, in the end all that matters is that it gets used and doesn't sit on a shelf somewhere! So bravo to your choice, and we'll be looking for some photos in the future.
    Jed
    Yes! Just in time for 2 weeks in france with my wife "sans enfants"

I'll be very curious to compare shots taken with the 75 lux vs the 85mm nikon, its got some big shoes to fill.

Daniel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the 1.4/75mm is my favourite lens out of all my systems owned, past and present. your 85mm won't stand a chance.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re: Consolidating to Leica? or keep the Nikon?

Eveb as a leica user myself I have to call bs on the 85 not standing a chance. Leica lenses are excellent but they aren't the only people to throw some good glass together.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clayne, I wasn't generalising, I have shot extensively with both lenses and that has been my experience. it's always going to be a tall order for a modern retrofocus design to stand up to a modern normal lens.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Won't stand a chance" denotes a huge difference. I'm not saying there won't be differences, but they won't be "just throw the other lens away" differences, is all.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    So the Summilux 75 isn't a typical telephoto? I did read somewhere a comment that it was just a long normal?

Daniel.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think the decision to consolidate to one brand is a call that you must make by yourself. The advantage is that you can focus your efforts on one camera or one line of cameras.

I think that it's also useful to have an SLR system, because the flexibility of an SLR can be very useful in certain types of photography.

I tend to agree that some of the models that Leica has produced are aimed solely at either the collector or those who enjoy showing off their wealth. Again, that's a decision for you to make. Not my thing, but if I had a hoard of cash, I wouldn't think twice about buying a Hermes edition.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well it is all a big money decision for sure. All I can say is that a person should look to their future in photography and build a system that is capable of achieving that end. Only you can decide what you need to do. However take my advice with a grain of salt as I am very happy with a Nikon N80. The camera has no "Wow" factor at all. Sometimes when I tell people what I shoot they look like they just smelled garlic. I am sure the M9 + MP will bring a very different response. LOL, it should bring the "OMG" response.. It's beautiful gear you are buying for sure. Good luck with it.

Shooter
    35mm
    keep everything except the 28mm PC and 45mm AI-P
    What you have is probably the last F from Nikon in the F6 and the last mechanical/electronic Nikon!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unless you are into any close-up type work I'd say go for it. I made a similar switch about four years ago and haven't regretted it one bit. Finally sold off most of the Nikon stuff I'd been keeping because I liked it so much. I hadn't used any of it in years. Not even the close-up stuff. If you've any inlking of using the PC lens keep it and a body, as that won;t be replicated in Leica, but really if it is still NIB I know I wouldn't.

I really can't believe how much better suited to my way of working the M cameras are. I wish now I'd made the change 20 years ago.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin