Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,150   Online: 1112

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Consolidating to Leica? or keep the Nikon?

I've paid for a M9 and have been waiting around like everyone else. I bought a 2nd hand 35 cron asph and borrowed a M8.2 to play with. Wow, this is the handling that I wanted in a digital. Simple mechanical like my FM3a.

Now the question is, I have a bunch of Nikon stuff, and if I ebayed the lot, I could buy the Hermes MP + 35 cron thats on ebay atm.

28mm AI-S PC-Nikkor (NIB, never got round to using it!)
    35mm AI-S f/1.4
    85mm AI-S f/1.4
    Nikon F6
    Nikon FM3a & the rare tiny SB-30
    Nikon AI-P 45mm

Its hard to sell things you like, but I would have a film body to accompany my M9 and all one system.

Do you think it would be a dumb move?

Daniel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are no dumb moves, only decisions that you may later regret.

I would sell the PC lens that you never use and keep the rest of the Nikon gear. There are some things that a 35mm SLR is better at or nicer to use. If you get a 35mm RF, while that would also nice to have, just kind of repeats what you have in the M9.

With the Nikon SLR, you could scan the negatives if you want the best quality. Why would you do that with a RF. Probably are reasons, just not as many.

Of course, like others, I am better at buying and keeping rather than the revolving door camera owners.

So, its your chance to regret what ever you do.

If you want, send me the F6 and I will take it out and make sure it gets exercised.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I consolidated most of my setup to Leica M, but I still keep my Canon 1V and a handful of lenses. As fotch said, it's useful to keep an SLR around. So I have a 28, a 50, and a 200 for my SLR. I wouldn't get that much money for the first two, and the 200 is something I can't duplicate with a rangefinder. Couple that with the fact that the SLR has a motor drive and AF, and it make sense to me to keep it.

Sell the lenses you don't use but keep one or two and the F6. Buy an M6 and be happy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, I would unload the F6 and the 28mm AI-S PC-Nikkor and keep the FM3A and the remaining lenses and look for an M6.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm
    Keep a couple film bodies and lenses. I "assure" you that you will want them in the future.

Kiron Kid

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hermes MP and M9? Yes, please sell all that useful Nikon equipment so someone can put it to real actual use. Exactly what are you looking for in photography?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would say its all about the end results I have a Leica and a Bronica both do different things for me, both give me results I need.

So I would look at what you shoot, what you want it to look like and keep the equipment that allows you to achieve this.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for selling the PC lens and the F6 but keeping the rest.

Couldn't imagine having only rangefinders, as there are many things an SLR really will do better (close-ups, telephotos - I find a 90mm on a RF already near the limit - exact framing, getting close with ultra-wides and, and..).

Also, why a Hermes with a second 35mm? Pick up a "cheap" M6 and a lens with a FL you don't already have.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems to me that the O.P. is more into status symbols than photography.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Daniel - hard to make a comment because obviously it largely depends on your style of photography. I think a film BU to the M9 does make a lot of sense, and like others here, would imagine something like an M6 TTL would actually be better as that that BU rather than an MP. I think the FM3a is one of the best cameras EVER but then I wonder if it's just duplication in many ways to the RFers... perhaps keep the F6 and buy something like an AF 70-210? Sell the rest (gulp!) Then you'd really have everything covered? Just a thought.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin