Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,586   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Canon EOS 1n vs EOS 3 or EOS 1?

Hi guys, i'm new to this forum so i don't know if i have posted this in the right section.
    I've been meaning to get either one of these cameras but not sure which is better? I've looked at the specs and they look pretty similar. I have a 400d and was wondering if my lenses will be able to fit on these bodies? I have a nifty fifity and a kit 18 - 55. I will soon be acquiring either a sigma 105 or a tamron 90 too.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks guys.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 3 is a more modern camera with better auto focus. The 1's have a slightly better viewfinder and would probably take more of a hit if you're looking for something to drop. Photo.net has a pretty decent comparison of the three

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00KNJi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own the 1n and it is built like a brick. As mentioned above it also offers a 100% viewfinder. I recommend it. K
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon F5.

Seriously, although I am a Nikon shooter, buy the best camera you can reasonably afford. The 1V has a major performance upgrade over the other two in terms of motor drive and autofocus speed, so if the prices are reasonable, get one. I picked up my F5 (Nikon's cousin to the 1V) for around $400 US and it's worth every penny.

If the 1V is too expensive, then you have to decide between the build quality of the 1 or 1N and the faster speed of the 3. (I use my F100 - analog to the 3 - more than I use my F4 - analog to the 1 - but this will depend on your particular circumstances.)
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    EF lenses will work fine. Don't put the 18-55 on a full frame camera, film or digital. EF-S lenses can break the reflex mirror.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any one of them, though I favor the 3 for its AF, the controls, and the price. I had been looking for years, and finally just got one. For me, it is a special-purpose camera, as most of the time I use my oldies but goodies. However, I could not be happier with the 3, for what I wanted it for.

Next on the list for me would be the 1N.

I do not like the 1 at all, unless used with manual focus...and at that point, why use it at all?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes I will have to look at affordability. Anybody know what's a reasonable price? Honestly I'm not willing to pay more than 200-300... I'm from Australia so dunno if it's cheaper here or USA?

Shooter
    35mm
    you sound like you are from 4chan...ugh...
    anyway...your 18-55 kit lens -should- work from 24mm-55mm and the 50mm will work on film or FX digital.

Quote Originally Posted by smallfooties View Post
    Yes I will have to look at affordability. Anybody know what's a reasonable price? Honestly I'm not willing to pay more than 200-300... I'm from Australia so dunno if it's cheaper here or USA?
    Affordability and photography do not go hand in hand. If you are looking for "something affordable", then stay with digital and get the 55-200 VR to go with your 18-55 lens and just start shooting.

reasonable prices can be found at adorama, B&H, KEH, and flebay.

There is NO easy answer to your question.

Digital photography and film photography are NOT similar. A film camera is a light-tight box that you put film in - there are no sensors, instant gratification, or (most of the time) easy modes. There are no megapixels to fawn over. You can't just change ISO on the fly and have the image automatically come out okay.

I'm gonna forgo a huge essay and just tell you:
    You don't want an EOS 1, 1v/1v-HS, 1n, or 3; you will probably want an EOS 7, 7N, 7NE, or EOS 5/A2. They are pretty cheap and will give you the exact options you want.
    Toledo Camera Trader and photojournalist

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Any one of them, though I favor the 3 for its AF, the controls, and the price. I had been looking for years, and finally just got one. For me, it is a special-purpose camera, as most of the time I use my oldies but goodies. However, I could not be happier with the 3, for what I wanted it for.

Next on the list for me would be the 1N.

I do not like the 1 at all, unless used with manual focus...and at that point, why use it at all?
    I do a lot of street and still life photography... I also like to do macro... I use manual focus all the time...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also think the Eos Elan7/33 is a good choice, but its viewfinder isn't the best.
    The Eos 5/A2 is older and command dial may be easily broken if you don't care; it's a problem with this camera ; but its viewfinder is excellent.
    I also have a 3 but I don't use it : it has not internal dioptric adjustment and I don't need 45 focusing points...

If you only use manual focus, you'll prefer the 1N, with a better viewfinder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin