Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,088   Online: 927

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

1.35 volt Button Cells

I have just picked up a gorgeous Minolta SRT 101b but the battery for the meter is flat,anybody know whetre I can get one of these batteries in the UK
    There Is A Bustle In My Hedgerow

My Film Shots On Flickr

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I got a couple Wein cell batteries which are adapted to use in old cameras on eBay. They fit in without adapters, and work fine in my old Canon and Olympus. The seller is located in the US, but he ships internationall (I live in Japan).

Shooter
    35mm
    I asked about the same question on page 24 and was going to convert my Minolta to use Silver oxide batteries but the thread also covers the wein cell use and how it'd be cheaper to just buy the zinc air batteries and a rubber O ring to fit around it! This subject should be made a sticky to stay at the top of the page to be easy to find!! Or you could convert to a certain type of silver oxide battery to mimic the discharge rate of the old mercury batteries, Steve Smith is a nice guy and can give you the info you need to convert.He lives in the UK
    Cheers
    Terry
    Terry
    I'm brain damaged,what's your excuse?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Again View Post
    Steve Smith is a nice guy and can give you the info you need to convert.He lives in the UK
    Thank you.

If you want to go down the route of modification so you can use modern silver oxide cells then you will need to put a schottkey diode in series with the battery line as per this website: http://www.rokkorfiles.com/conversion.htm

This is a similar description for the same modification to an Olympus OM: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...BKdT7nRW6luSrg

And our previous thread on this subject is here: http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...p/t-56470.html

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Many thanks for that guys and Steve I may go down the Wein cell route as I am technically a total pillock so the mention of adapting cameras scares me rigid

My Film Shots On Flickr

Shooter
    35mm
    Your welcome Steve! The truth is true!!
    Cliffy do your wallet a favor and just get a zinc air battery and a #9 O-ring to go around it and that's the same as the Wein cell battery!! IF you don't use the camera for weeks at a time then to make the zinc air last longer you can place a piece of tape over the air holes to seal them up while not in use. Check out the link to the old topic steve provided and then make up your mind? Perhaps there is a camera shop you could have do the conversion for you? Or Someone maybe? It's up to you!
    Cheers
    Terry
    I'm brain damaged,what's your excuse?

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually guys just picked up a Weston Master 2 off ebay for 99p so I think that will do the job

My Film Shots On Flickr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Disadvantage to the Wein is that it is air activated, so once activated one cannot try to suspend its lifetime.

One alternative is to go to www.zuiko.com and buy the MR-9 adapter, which you insert a silver oxide 386 battery and then put the MR-9 into the battery compartment; it fits the spot an PX625 or PX13 would otherwise fit.

Shooter
    35mm
    As far as I know this camera uses a moving needle type meter similar to my Canon F1 (first version). If so I have found a silver oxide battery is fine, the increased voltage just causes it to show a bit 'more light' than there actually is. Setting the ISO to half the actual ISO of the film compensates and gives correct exposures. The same also worked for my Canonet QL17 GIII. I'd be surprised if it doesn't work for you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by monochromeimages View Post
    As far as I know this camera uses a moving needle type meter similar to my Canon F1 (first version). If so I have found a silver oxide battery is fine, the increased voltage just causes it to show a bit 'more light' than there actually is. Setting the ISO to half the actual ISO of the film compensates and gives correct exposures. The same also worked for my Canonet QL17 GIII. I'd be surprised if it doesn't work for you.
    The Olympus OM-1 has a needle, too, which one centers in a permanently positioned scale. Its needle swings to one side when power is off. I have conducted direct test of Mercury Oxide vs. alkaline, and have found that the amount of error depends not only upon the actual voltage of the alkaline cell (which varies throughout its lifetime), but is also dependent upon the levels of light being metered, so it is impossible to compensate simply.

I have heard that if a meter needle is centered in a permanently positioned scale AND its meter needle stays centered when power is off, it uses a Wheatstone bridge circuit and is not subject to devialtions caused by different voltage (alkaline cell).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin