Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,493   Online: 1086

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon FE2 Has Arrived!...and so have an F3HP and 300/4.5 AI

As a follow-up to my post regarding film loading with the FE2, I note that a nearly new FE2 has arrived from KEH. This EX+ camera looks fabuolous, especially after I my usual routine with it (cleaning, leatherette treatment, etc.). I also got an F3HP and 300/4.5 AI. The FE2 does, indeed, permit the loading of film with the MD-12 attached. I thank all of those who contributed to my previous thread.

After going over everything last night, I am ready to shoot. I am anxious to use the 300/4.5 AI. I gather it is a good performer. Any opinions or advice out there?

I am really glad to have an F3 again. I was foolish to let my first one go. The FE2 also seems like a very fine camera. I enjoyed taking some snapshots with it yesterday. I very much enjoyed having my FE--only the film loading issue caused me to part with it.

Shooter
    35mm

FE2, F3HP, 300/4.5AI

Both cameras have interchangeable focusing screens. The FE2 takes K, B and E screens - combination split image/microprism, plain matte, grid. Using a lens like the 300/4.5 with the K screen will be acceptable in bright light and when the subject is easy to make out from its surroundings. If this is not the case then an E screen can make things easier and can also aid in composition. The correct E screen for an FE2 is the E2. If you use the E screen from the FE or the E3 screen from the FM3A you will need to adjust your exposure. The F3 will give you a lot more choices when it comes to focusing screens but the E is still a good choice. In lower light you can find that the top or bottom of the split image section of the FE2's K screen wil black out if your eye is not perfectly centered. The E screen has no focusing aid in the center to black out. You might find that the E screens are also handy for macro work and for using slower zooms.

Shooter
    35mm
    dynachrome: I am glad to see that you have replied, as I have found your comments both interesting and helpful.

Interestingly, my F3HP came with the E screen. Yesterday, I used the F3HP and the 300/4.5 and was quite impressed with what I observed in the viewfinder. I had been thinking of buying a standard screen (B screen), but I may not have to do this. In case I do: does the "red dot" version require any exposure adjustment (i.e. when using the meter in the camera)? I have read that the red dot screens are brighter.

I am glad to have Nikon gear again. The FE and F3 series are terrific...solid build, dependable service, and excellent features. I am even thinking of adding an FE (so as to have the non-AI/AI option). Did you ever have problems loading film with the FE and the MD-12 attached? I do not believe I was doing anything wrong, but I just thought I would ask. As I remember it, I believe I tried everthing (and read the manual) before giving up the camera.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 03-18-2010 at 08:44 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: additional commentary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love the E screen in my F3. I also have one in my FM2n. Best all around screen for me anyway. The split image rangefinder screen is nice with wide aperture lenses, but they have an annoying tendency to partially black out with slower lenses.

Is your 300 f/4.5 the internal focusing model? If so, it's a pretty good lens. Not the best 300 mm. I've ever seen, but I have no complaints at all about it. The fact that it is relatively small and light and features internal focusing makes it one of the easier handling manual focus lenses in this focal length.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    I know more about Canon F-1 focusing screens than I do about Nikon F2 screens. You might try testing two screens to see if you get a different reading. Canon made a line of L screens (lasermatte) for the F-1 and F-1n cameras. When I use them I do not make any exposure adjustments. I suggest that you pose this question in the Nikon forum on photo.net. The reason I like an E screen rather than a B screen is that the grid lines of the E screen are a good sharpness reference. I have two FE bodies and one FE2. I did not have a problem loading the FE with an MD-12 attached. I have one MD-11 and one MD-12.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do not have the IF version. I have the regular AI. I use the DOF scale for focusing (as I do with most of my other lenses), and thus IF would have no appeal for me. I am very interested to see some results. It should be about two weeks before I have any.

I really like using the E screen with the 300/4.5.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Congratulations on your purchases. Fine cameras and a fine lens.
    If this is your first long tele, my best advice is that there is no 300mm lens in the world that isn't improved by use of monopod 99 percent of the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The IF model has DOF marks just like any other, so you could use it that way if you choose. I find focusing such a long lens difficult because the DOF is usually so shallow.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    I could not agree more in terms of stability. In fact, when I use a lens of 200mm or more, I always use a tripod. Hand holding these focal lengths just does not make sense. With both my Pentax Super Takumar 200/4 and my Nikkor 300/4.5 AI, I always use my tripod. I use my cable release, too. I have gotten some nice shots with the Super Tak, and will be comparing them to the 300 AI.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congrats on the Nikons. I shot a FE2 for years. I loved it. I died a few years backL. I now sits on my desk. I still love to look at it. It still works on bulb so there may be some pinhole use in the future. I don’t shot too much 35mm anymore. But I may get a FG or FM to go with the MD-15 that still works.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin