Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,569   Online: 1189

Shooter
    35mm

Cracked film compartment

Okay here is the problem. A few weekends ago while scrambling on some rocks while out shooting pictures along the river, I dropped my F3. It was either it or me and broken bones don't appeal to me.
    After picking it up and looking it over I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary so all looked good. Considering this F3 has been well used.
    However after finishing the roll some time later I discovered that the inside of the film chamber has a crack in the outer wall and was bent. The film back is a little difficult to close now but it appears to still be making a good seal.
    Should I worry about the crack in the inside or just live with it? I don't want to put any more film through it if all I am going to do is fog it. Fixing it would probably be not worth the cost. I know that the F model nikons have darn good light sealing around the film back.
    "There is something about the mystery
    of what is on a roll of film that keeps
    me shooting, none of that digital
    instant gratification for me."

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Marsbars,

After reading your post, I have to say, though I can't shine any light on your query, I can sympathise!

Hope it's all going to be fine.

Regards

Alistair

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The F3 is plentiful on the used market. I would simply buy another body.

Perhaps keep that one as a prop for a good story.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If the final frames of your film were not fogged it's certainly worth trying another film through the camera - for something unimportant :-).
    It may be possible to tweak the shell back into shape so the back fits OK.

Twelve exposure roll of some cheap print film ought to tell the story.

A crack can be covered with black tape

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I wouldn't trust a camera that has a cracked body.

The fact that the door is difficult to close could be a bad sign. or it could be nothing at all.

It will be difficult to tell if light is being leaked into the film chamber when the door is closed, because you can't be inside the film chamber. However, testing with a roll of film will tell you a lot rather quickly.

I still think you should replace the camera.
    However

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Put a cheap roll of fast film in it, shoot a few frames, put the body out in full sun and turn it every few minutes. If any light is getting in, you'll soon find out when you develop it.

Spending the $5-10 for peace of mind seems like the obvious thing to do - certainly better than discarding a body that may or may not be fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    that's what gaffer's tape is for. Congratulations on earning your first stripe...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin