Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,671   Online: 922

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

"Nice camera" :)

I was shooting pics at a birthday party this weekend, both with a Sony alpha 200 digital and a Minolta XD-11 with Tmax 400 (@1600). About midway through the party a gal, one of the mothers of a partygoer, turns to me, smiled, and said "nice camera" as I took a shot with my XD-11. I replied "What, this old thing?" to which she replied, "This old thing?". She seemed flabergasted when I told her the camera was from 1975 or so.

Still, classic styling and good looks DO stand out in this age of black plastic. Pentax has realized it, offering DSLRs in more than black - including a new black and chrome version of their flagship K-7.

So let's start a beauty contest poll - who gets your vote for the nicest-looking 35mm SLR ever made?

Extra points if the camera also happens to be a piece of junk!
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice story! If only manufacturers would make digital SLR's into shapes other than a whale tale i'd be happy. I always imagined a digital variant of a camera body the size of a Pentax ME.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always like the styling of the older cameras better than the new ones.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used make fun of my brother's "black plastic blob" camera (Canon EOS of some type) back in the 90's. I still like my Pentax H1a for looks (what I was using then, too).

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I think that the Tachihara view cameras are a thing of joy and beauty.

I don't have one but I think if I did, I would display it as much as I would use it.

http://www.vassar.info/t/picons/tach...pic-medium.jpg
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I enjoy the elegant lines of a nice rangefinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I work at a university art department and last year, there was a art student taking a photo class that never touched a film camera before. So with Gen Y people any film camera is old. They also never remember not having a cell phone, computer or ever buy many CDs. I met another student that is discovering the joys of analog photography. He says he "loves film".

Shooter
    35mm
    I suppose it might be theoretically possible to build something more beautiful than this, but it seems unlikely:

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In an SLR, I think the Contax RX is a solid contestant for beautiful camera. In a rangefinder, the Kodak Retina II is a great looker as well as a great user.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A couple of months ago, I took my Koni-Omega Rapid to my local photo store to find a filtre for it. I got many stres, and nods as I walked in. One woman just stared a it sitting on the counter, and kept saying "that's hot". Then she looked at me and told me that she might just have to mug me in the parking lot for it. If only women would say that about me.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin