Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,861   Online: 965

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Question about film scanners and negatives

I'm new to APUG and relatively new to 35mm colour film photography so please excuse if this is a stupid question to ask and/or in the wrong forum xD

I am interested in purchasing a film scanner but wondering what the process is for scanning the negatives? how do you get the negatives in the first place?
    Does the film canister have to be taken to a shop and be processed? Or can you do it all at home with the film scanner?

I sent an email to a company and they said you could do it straight from the camera to printer but I want to clarify this because I was lead to believe film is light sensitive- thats how it works right.

Thanks,
    Bella

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well welcome. All film will need to be processed wether you set up your own darkroom or bring it to a lab. DO NOT(!!!) Just open up a film cassette because you will ruin the images within....The film scanner is simply a device to get the images into your computer so that you can work with them that way. You amy want to start out by having a lab process and print or process and scan your first few rolls.

Patrick
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Patrick
    Also another question,
    Is just getting the negatives processed at a lab cheaper than getting the standard 4x6 prints as well?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bellalee View Post
    Thanks Patrick
    Also another question,
    Is just getting the negatives processed at a lab cheaper than getting the standard 4x6 prints as well?
    Hi Bella,

The relative cost difference between process-only and process-and-print is really dependent upon where you get them done. At some labs, the extra cost of the prints is insignificant, but others might charge quite a bit more.

One thing to be mindful of though, is that it is often cheaper to get prints made at the time of processing, rather than going back later for a set of prints.

Good luck with it - and have fun!!!

Regards,
    Gordon
    *Minolta Maxxum 7 *Minolta Dynax 600si Classic *Minolta Dynax 5 *Minolta X-300
    *Minolta 28-105 RS, Minolta 50/1.7 (AF & MD), Minolta 50/2.8 Macro, Tamron 70-300
    *A passion to capture God's awesome creation

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Patrick
    Also another question,
    Welcome bellalee to the wonderful world of film.

Yes the film processing by itself is less expensive. My local Wal-Mart will develop a roll for under $2.

As to your scanning question APUG is not the best place to ask, it's "off topic".

APUG.ORG is an international community of like minded individuals devoted to traditional (non-digital) photographic processes. We are an active photographic community; our forums contain a highly detailed archive of traditional and historic photographic processes.
    http://www.hybridphoto.com is APUG's sister site and scanning is on topic there.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A film scanner is similar to the copier in an office. But instead of copying a printed piece of paper, it copies the negative or slide (if you're using slide film).

And instead of then sending out a sheet of paper that's a copy of the original, it creates a file for your computer.

Then, you open that file in an image editing program (such as Photoshop) and work on it: Adjust the tone, contrast and colors, crop it or whatever you like.

Time-consuming yet a lot of fun.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'm new to APUG and relatively new to 35mm colour film photography so please excuse if this is a stupid question to ask and/or in the wrong forum xD

I am interested in purchasing a film scanner but wondering what the process is for scanning the negatives? how do you get the negatives in the first place?
    Does the film canister have to be taken to a shop and be processed? Or can you do it all at home with the film scanner?

I sent an email to a company and they said you could do it straight from the camera to printer but I want to clarify this because I was lead to believe film is light sensitive- thats how it works right.

Thanks,
    Bella
    Welcome to APUG and film photography.
    As Patrick said, you must process the film before you can get any image. Film is light sensitive and any other exposure to light out of the camera will ruin anything in it.
    When you expose the film in the camera, a latent image is formed on the emulsion (not visible). Processing does a chain of chemical reactions that convert that latent image to a visible image.

Well, Hybridphoto is the place for talking about scanning processes; but I guess there isn't anything wrong in answering your questions.

A scanner is just a sensor with a light that "captures" the reflected light and makes a file from it, paper is scanned this way. For scanning film, instead of reflected light, you need a backlight that illuminates the film.
    There are Dedicated film scanners (Nikon, Minolta) and flatbeds with a transparency device (Epson V500/600/700).

Shooter
    Medium Format

Thanks,
    Bella
    Welcome.

I am glad you found APUG as the advise given above by the company is wrong. I suspect they may have thought your were shooting digital instead of 35mm. As others have said the film needs process first. Good Luck and have fun....

Shooter
    35mm
    The film scanner will scan an already developed negative into a digital file. You can then process the file in a photoshop type program. The film scanning process is time consuming and many people do not like it. I would recommend at least for a while that your take your C41 film to CostCo or a similar store and have them process the film and make a CD for you. You can then fiddle around with those files in photoshop and after a while if your still inclined you can shop for a film scanner. My own preference is to shoot E-6 and have a CD made at a pro lab. It's kind of expensive but I do not have to use my epson scanner which suits me very well. I do not enjoy film scanning.

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome to APUG Bella!

Maybe if you told us whereabouts you live, some members may be able to help better with lab recommendations.
    Steve.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin