Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,757   Online: 1130

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by luke_h View Post
    I mean I understand how the shutter works. I've got a few other cameras that use a similar vertical curtain (Yashica TL Electro X, Voigtlander R2A, my DSLRs, Nikon N80)

Just none of them do what you're describing. They all open up a full white frame at 1/1000th.
    No, they don't, unless there's something wrong with the shutter. They may appear to be a full white frame, but at 1/1000th the shutter is a fairly narrow slit. Using a flash on single burst will verify this.
    Except my Pentax Spotmatic which also does not work at 1/500th and 1/1000th. It has a horizontal cloth shutter though, but the effect is the same.
    It will be with any focal plane shutter above maximum sync. speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The specs say a 1/125 for flash.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And based on 1/125 X sync a horizontal FP shutter has a 36mm wide slit, 1/250 is an 18mm wide slit, 1/500 is a 9mm wide slit and 1/1000 is 4.5mm wide. Adjust the slit widths proportionately for a 24mm vertical FP shutter. Human eyes are very easily deceived.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm developing as I type this.. I tested my Voigtlander R2A at 1/1000th and you see a full white rectangle when firing the flash as opposed to a 1/8" frame of light on the Nikon. Place your bets

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by luke_h View Post
    I'm developing as I type this.. I tested my Voigtlander R2A at 1/1000th and you see a full white rectangle when firing the flash as opposed to a 1/8" frame of light on the Nikon. Place your bets
    It has to do with flash after all?!!?

Let's see: Nikon FM has 1/125 flash sync. Using flash at 1/1000 should expose about 1/8 of the frame.
    Sound familiar?

;-)
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm not sure why shutter sync speed matters since I'm not using a flash. I'm basing my experience off of working cameras I own versus broken cameras I own.

OK, so it looks like I was correct in my assumptions. Now who do I send it to?

Full size for your enjoyment:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/...fa692095_o.jpg

The problem starts at 1/250th of a second and gets worse as things speed up. Otherwise, the camera is working and looks nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Luke, you are confusing the issue by using words like "sync" and "flash". Title and post 14 for example.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't know the technical terms past "broken" which is exactly what I assumed this camera was.

Now proven visually with evidence. In post 14 I mistyped.. I meant to say

you see a full white rectangle when firing the shutter
    It works fine up to 1/125th second. Here's a photo made in the back yard at 1/125th.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/...c4c27131_b.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So if the pictures you show in post# 16 are taken in regular light, not flash, there is a problem. Maybe the mirror is hanging up.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes. So now we're back to post #1 where I asked who fixes Nikon SLRs.

I don't have the skill to open up the body and fix it myself. I read through the repair manual and it's above my head.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin