Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,758   Online: 954

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm guessing the mirror is being released early, the shadow is way to indistinct to be from the edge of the metal shutter curtain on the Copal Square shutter. Those cameras had a motor drive available, and the extra wear could be the cause of the problem. See:
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...s/fm/part5.htm There is a pdf file of the timing of the mechanisms you can look at.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    And a reply from the ebay seller when I inquired about a (partial) refund after he described it as working perfectly:

Hi. I'm very sorry I got camera from estate sale in chicago and the saler tell me the camera working I paid for this camera for $110.00.
    Awesomeness. More positive karma for me and negative for him.

I held the mirror up while releasing the shutter at 1/500th and 1/1000th. Same effect. It's definitely the rear shutter curtain which seems to not even open up all the way. So it'll probably end up at KEH.

For everyone that thinks the shadow would be sharp at the edge of the shutter, here is a photo from my Spotmatic shot at 1/1000th which has the same problem (which goes away after you fire the shutter about 5 times.) The Pentax has a horizontal shutter travel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by luke_h View Post
    And a reply from the ebay seller when I inquired about a (partial) refund after he described it as working perfectly:

Awesomeness. More positive karma for me and negative for him.

I held the mirror up while releasing the shutter at 1/500th and 1/1000th. Same effect. It's definitely the rear shutter curtain which seems to not even open up all the way. So it'll probably end up at KEH.

For everyone that thinks the shadow would be sharp at the edge of the shutter, here is a photo from my Spotmatic shot at 1/1000th which has the same problem (which goes away after you fire the shutter about 5 times.) The Pentax has a horizontal shutter travel.

It would be sharp with electronic flash. I tended to also think it was the mirror. In natural light there's no real reason why it would be sharp, if the shutter is dragging or hanging up, unless it were stopping altogether.

Nice shot of the dog, BTW.

Shooter
    35mm
    Looking at the pictures you posted I think you have a slow (sticky) first curtain because the exposed part of the picture is on top. If the pictures were taken with flash and using too high shutter speed the exposed part would be on the bottom. I believe there are 2 gears on the bottom of the camera that allows you to increase the spring tension on the shutter curtain. One is for the first curtain and one is for the second curtain. However, excercise the camera a lot might just cure it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by luke_h View Post
    I called another repair center in Kansas and the guy laughed and said it took him two days of labor to fix the last FM shutter he got into. He said one curtain is slow or fast in regards to the other, but you have to get all the way into the camera to service it. He told me to just go to KEH and buy one of their EX condition FMs and be done with it

I may see if KEH wants to take this one in on trade.
    It's not your fault the seller bought & sold a defective camera, if it came through the auction site, I'd INSIST on returning it. It wasn't as described.
    For all you know he was aware the camera was defective. Believe it or not there are some unscrupulous folks on the bay.

1) Don't send it to the guy in Kansas!

2)The shutter does have to be removed from the chassis to be adjusted but the good thing is, once adjusted they stay that way for a long time.
    If the spring lost tension, it's not age or use that caused the fault you see, it's more likely been dropped or bumped & lost a tooth or two of tension. A little bit goes a long way.

3)It does look like the Nikon and your Pentax share some flaws but the Pentax is the easier to cure. If you refer to Chan Tran's post that's the cure for the Pentax, a simple travel time adjustment.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Regarding your Pentax-Eric Hendrickson has a great reputation.
    http://pentaxs.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Luke,

Camera Clinic in Shoreline, WA would also do a good job. For $138, you'd get a full overhaul of your FM. Or, they might sell you a pre-overhauled FM for the same amount of money.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin