Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,109   Online: 901

Shooter
    35mm

Question about older Nikon lenses

I need a tutorial (yes. another one) about the older Nikon lenses. While I'm rummaging through the on-line offerings, which lenses have the indexing tab attached? Is it AI, or AIS, or something else?

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you read this document?

http://www.aiconversions.com/images/AIflyer011026.pdf

The "tab" is really on the camera, not the lens, or are you referring to the slotted coupler on the lens for the original style meter coupling?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Huh, interesting, thanks for the link. I met John once, he's a fairly good friend of my brother-in-law. I knew he dealt in cams, but did not realize he did lens conversions.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    Ken Rockwell has a very detailed article and chart on the various Nikon lens types.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try nikonians.org lots of info on this site as well.

Good luck,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In short, the meter coupling shoe is on non-AI, AI and AI-S Nikkors (with only a handful of exceptions).

AI and newer lenses have a ridge on the aperture ring that couples with more modern Nikons. The coupling shoe is not necessary with post-1977 Nikons, but it's there for compatibility with pre-1977 ones.

AI-S lenses add compatibility with program mode and shutter speed priority shooting, although to my knowledge only the Nikon FA really takes advantage of this. One of the FG bodies has program mode too (the FG itself I think) and uses this. So does the F301/F501/N2000/N2020.

Autofocus Nikons (other than the F501/N2020) use the "CPU" contacts (what a terrible name!) on the lens and meter couple electronically. Some autofocus Nikons retain an AI coupling tab that couples with AI/AI-S Nikkors.

Non-AI Nikkors can be AI-converted (see Mr. White's site).
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    AI-S lenses add compatibility with program mode and shutter speed priority shooting, although to my knowledge only the Nikon FA really takes advantage of this.
    That's not actually true; the FA can use program mode with both AI and AI-S lenses. The difference between AI and AI-S is that the aperture control lever on AI-S lenses has a linear response (it moves just as far to change by one stop, no matter what stop it actually is).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by i40west View Post
    That's not actually true; the FA can use program mode with both AI and AI-S lenses. The difference between AI and AI-S is that the aperture control lever on AI-S lenses has a linear response (it moves just as far to change by one stop, no matter what stop it actually is).
    True. Program mode on the FA will give an accurate exposure with AI lenses, but you have no guarantee that you're getting the shutter speed-aperture combination the camera predicts you will. AI-S (and AF) lenses guarantee that the camera readouts will be correct.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin