Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,815   Online: 1007

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello JK

A few comments on the suggestions and lenses I have owned/still own
    180/2.8 - a superb lens, can be used as a portrait but a little long for general portrait work.

135/AFDC - yes I know it's AF but it can be used manually. The defocus works well, but I no longer have this super lens and changed to the 105/f2 AFDC - what a stunner! The out of focus areas are jaw-dropping. I used to have a 105/1.8 as well, but favour the AFDC.

85 may be too short for some (but not for me), I used to have the 1.8 which was a beautiful lens, but now have the superb f/1.4. A classic Nikon lens and the equal of the Contax 85/1.4 I used to own. Actually better in that it focuses nearer than the Contax.

I really should not have two portrait lenses, but the 85/1.4 and 105/2/AFDC are so so good, I don't really want to part with either.

If I had to take just one portrait lens to a desert island I guess it would be the 85/1.4 , because of the extra stop.
    Grain aka Clive Rowley
    justmono

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even though I really like my late version, pre-Ai 85mm f/1.8 Nikkor and the 105mm f/2.5, if I were looking for a "portrait" length lens for Nikon now I would get the 50-135mm f/3.5 Nikkor zoom. It is a little slower than the others, but it's a great people catcher.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    there is a little problem - I don't believe to zoom lenses. Maybe it is only prejudice, by I think they can't be so sahrp as a simple lenses. JK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also vote for the f2 105 AFDC in Color Foto a german mag it got a 10 from 10 possible points re sharpness on a MTF test machine!
    Not many lenses got thad till now!
    Its a killer lens!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forgive me if I sound like I'm knocking sharp glass, I'm not, I love it as much as anyone. Doesn't an overly sharp lens work against you when making portraits? I've read over and again about using those old style soft lenses for making beautiful portraits and it would seem absolute sharpness need not be at the top of the list for a good portrait lens.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think I understand your point but personally I vote for sharpness. Thank all for your advices, going to check Ebay, that f2 105 AFDC lens is something I really wasn't thinking about. Thank again. JK

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sharpness can always be softened, but you can't do the other way round.

I rate Bjorn Rorslett's reviews of Nikkors - you might find this helpful, Juraj:

medium long Nikkors

Clive
    Grain aka Clive Rowley
    justmono

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks, Clive

Shooter
    35mm

second that notion

Sharpness is never out of style and it is so easy to add a little diffusion when printing if needed, but you can't add sharpness without losing something else or investing absurd amounts of work.

for portrait lenses i never did get the hang of the 95-110 range. i love my af 85/1.8 and use it manually on an elderly nikkormat most of the time. the non-rotating front element and the rear focus makes it very easy to work with and with the addition of a simple extension tube it makes a good lens for copy and macro work. the other old mare in my stable is the 135/2.8. mine is one of the last non-AI models and was ai'd by nikon 20 or so years ago. i'm not sure which i like more, but i am pretty sure the 135 is more likely to still be in service when i die.

2cents@large.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Juraj Kovacik
    I'm going to buy new lens for my FM3a, mechanical, without AF, something around 105 mm. any advice? thanks. JK
    Hi Juraj,
    Portraiture has been my special interest for many years and I own both the 85mm f1.8 Nikkor and the 105mm f2.5 Nikkor and if I had to choose between them for purely portraits it would have to be the 85mm,It's difficult to explain, Its the perspective it produces on the human face,and the placticity of the image it makes that is so pleasing. The 105mm is capable of taking excellent portraits, and is probably more useful for general photography Because It's a worthwhile twice the magnification of the standard 50mm lens

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin