Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,776   Online: 851

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I like the following lens combination:

80/2.0, 105/2.5, 135/2.0 and 180/2.8. The are all wonderful. The 135 is very nice because of the 2. which allows you to throw backgrounds out of focus.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will weigh in with another vote for the 105mm 2.5. A great lens that I have used for close to 20 years. I always wanted the 85mm but never could justify having two lens that close together. That changed when I aquired an 85mm Jupiter lens (42mm screwmount). Amazing what the slight change of focal length will do. Of course I had to buy a Fuji screwmount camera to use it, but is now my favorite portrait lens in 35mm.

As far as sharpness. That is what DOF gives you. Make those eyes dead on tack sharp and let the wide open aperture let the rest of the portrait fall away into softness.

Maybe you should look at a Mamiya 645 (or an RB67!) with something like a 135mm lens on it if you are going to do a lot of portraits?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    85mm f1.8
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    135mm f2.8

Shooter
    35mm
    I also believe the 105mm Micro Nikkor. Good for portaits and you also get a fine macro lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both the 105mm f/2.5 and the 105mm f/4 Micro-Nikkor. Both excellent lenses, but the f/2.5 lens is a better lens for portraiture for me. There's a smoothness in the transition from sharp focus to out-of-focus areas that the Micro-Nikkor doesn't match. It's hard to describe the effect, but it's definately there. The Micro-Nikkor is an amazing lens at macro distances, but it just seems too harsh to me for portraits.

I used to have the 85mm f/1.8, but I found that I reached for it so rarely that I got rid of it. It's a wonderful lens, especially in available light situations, but it never matched the way I envisioned my work...the longer reach of the 105mm works better for me.

Oddly enough, the 140mm macro is my favorite portrait lens on the Mamiya RB-67. I seem to go for shorter lenses as I use larger film. I'm not sure why that is...probably a sign of brain damage from my mis-spent youth.

One thing that I believe it is safe to assume: Nikkon makes the best range of high quality lenses in the traditional portrait focal lengths. I don't believe there's a real dog in the bunch.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My three favorite Nikon manual lenses:

85 1.4 AIS
    105 2.5 AI (not sure if there's an AIS)
    55 2.8 AIS Micro

All three will do a beautiful job with people. For a larger lens, the 180 2.8AIS can't be beat. The one with the gold band around it is the one I have.

Lou

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    85mm f/1.4!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lkorell
    For a larger lens, the 180 2.8AIS can't be beat. The one with the gold band around it is the one I have.

Lou

Easily by the AF 180mm f/2.8 ED IF!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm also going to cast my vote for the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4. I own the AIS version but am told the AF version has quite a few improvements. Humbug! The AIS version is very nice. Between the 105mm and 85mm, I'd just make it a matter of whether you want 85mm or 105mm more and if you value lens speed or lens price more (the 85mm f/1.4 isn't the cheapest lens out there).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin