Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,781   Online: 1070

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have the 85mm f1.4 and really love it. If you can handle the expense and bulk, you should try one out.

That said, I would also consider a slower 85mm. f1.4 is useful in available-light situations, but depth of field under 10 ft is very shallow. Having eyes sharp and nose blurry isn't often what people want. If you're doing studio-type portraiture where light will always be available, I don't think the extra stop or half-stop is worth it.
    John L
    SF Bay Area, CA

Shooter
    35mm
    My first additional lens in 1971 for my F was a 105. Sharpest of the bunch. Almost legendary. Shot ballet with it yesterday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would recommend anything in the range 80 to 105mm. Anything longer like the 135 will cause too much flattening of facial features.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John L
    I have the 85mm f1.4 and really love it. If you can handle the expense and bulk, you should try one out.

That said, I would also consider a slower 85mm. f1.4 is useful in available-light situations, but depth of field under 10 ft is very shallow. Having eyes sharp and nose blurry isn't often what people want. If you're doing studio-type portraiture where light will always be available, I don't think the extra stop or half-stop is worth it.
    In close, I find that even 1.8 is a bit too open. Could be just that I am lame at focusing!

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Juraj Kovacik
    I'm going to buy new lens for my FM3a, mechanical, without AF, something around 105 mm. any advice? thanks. JK
    Another vote for the 1:2.5/105mm AIS Nikkor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Juraj Kovacik
    I'm going to buy new lens for my FM3a, mechanical, without AF, something around 105 mm. any advice? thanks. JK
    Here are the Nikon lenses I use for 35mm portrait work:

28mm for large group portrait

35mm f/2 for environmental portrait or small group portrait

Normal lens for full-length portrait

85mm f/1.8 for half-length or for head & shoulder portrait

105mm f/2.5 for head & shoulder or for head shot

105mm f/2.8 macro with soft focus filter for head & shoulder or for head shot or for close-ups of body parts

180mm f/2.8 with extension tube for head shot or for tight face shot

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin