Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,929   Posts: 1,556,838   Online: 787

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

nikon f100 viewfinder

I'm considering getting a Nikon F100 body, but I'm wondering about the viewfinder. It seems the only real option I have is an F3hp body because of its great viewfinder for those who wear glasses. I can't get my hands on one to check it out, but for those who have, is the viewfinder easy to see like and F3hp?

I'm hopeless with an FM2, for example, and many other Nikons because of the viewfinder, which is hopelessly hard to see full frame, but the F3hp is great.

Let me know for those who've used the F100, and thanks very much in advance for your responses.

Scott

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I like the F100 finder - quite large and clear. I loved it more before I looked through an F6 though ;-) Still, I don't think anyone would say the finder is a negative with the F100 - it's really nice and I wouldn't imagine you'd be disappointed. It's not 100%... about 94% from memory.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stuck with an astigmatism it seems like the diopter in cameras will either let me choose to see either the image or the viewfinder info clearly...never both (unless the glasses are on). The viewfinder on the F100 suits well to wearing glasses in my case. Everything is bright, clear and no real drawback. The rubber on the exterior of the viewfinder helps prevent scratches and is easily replaceable if it becomes worn, which is a plus.

Best of luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wear glasses, and have both an F100 and an F3HP. The F3's finder is really nice with glasses, there's no denying that. I can see the whole thing and with the right diopter correction, it's sharp as all heck. But the F100 is no slouch, and the built in adjustable diopter makes it awfully easy for me to use.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can wear glasses with my F100. The viewfinder is higher than 94% (it's either 96 or 98%, I can't recall) but not 100%. If you want a 100% finder, the F5 is a terrific bargain these days but more than the F100.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Also wearing glasses here. The F100 has nicest viewfinder of my Nikons (FE and D200), it's very comfortable. Not as good as the F3hp (which I resisted buying in the end because I thought it was too redundant and too heavy/bulky). The F100 will give you access to shooting with G lenses (the ones without aperture rings), which is quite nice and means you can use the latest & the greatest from Nikon if you wish. The Tokina 11-16 makes a decent ultra-wide bargain for 35mm imho (if you can live with unsharp corners, not so good for landscapes but perfectly fine for that near-far + distortion effect).

Shooter
    35mm
    I've given up on wearing my glasses with any of my cameras: I have myopia in both eyes and astigmatism in my left eye, but since it's my right eye that I use to peep through the viewfinder, I just go glasses-less and use auto-focus (Nikon N80) or figure it out with my rangefinders (Bessa R and Leica IIIc), and do pretty well.

With best regards.

Stephen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The f100 VF is not quite as nice as the f3hp, but I use it with glasses and... no problems.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have an f100 and wear glasses as well. I love the camera. I have owned an F3HP and sold it. The F100 is a terrific camera!
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm thinking, the only way to be sure is to try it out in person. I have no problems with my F100 or any other view finders. But, I have experienced similar issues with microscopes. Except for few brands, I am not able to merge the images. (binocular)

To me, the view finder in F100 is nice, large, and bright. That doesn't mean it will work for you though.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin