Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,065   Online: 823

Shooter
    Medium Format

M42 screw lenses

I have a Mamiya 35mm SLR from I think the early 1970s. I bought it in the late 1970s with the sekkor lens (45-55 prime, I forget exactly) plus a 200mm Optimax lens. The camera is now out of hibernation after a 25 year winter and I wondered if there were any other interesting lenses about that I might play with. Any recommendations?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not sure about interesting but I picked up some M42 lenses at a boot sale a while ago. I have a Carl Zeiss Jena DDR Tessar 50mm f2.8 and (I think) a Cosinon 35mm f2.8 and a Fujinon 55mm f2.2. I think I have a Miranda 28mm and a Tokina 135mm as well somewhere. I will have a look when I get home.

If you would like any or all of these you can have them for the postage cost as I will never use them.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    BTW Steve thanks again, have done the seals on my OM20.

regards Brian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimper View Post
    I have a Mamiya 35mm SLR from I think the early 1970s. I bought it in the late 1970s with the sekkor lens (45-55 prime, I forget exactly) plus a 200mm Optimax lens. The camera is now out of hibernation after a 25 year winter and I wondered if there were any other interesting lenses about that I might play with. Any recommendations?
    This is the golden age for screw mount lenses. You can get incredible deals on ebay. Lenses that cost several hundred dollars when new can now be bought for pennies on the dollar.. You can build a stable of lenses for less than $100.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    35mm
    The Pentax Takumar lens are excellent. I have about 6 of the 50mm and 55mm. It's fun to watch for bargains and picking up lens. You will likely want a 85mm or around 100 for portraits. Landscapes a wide lens 28mm are cheap, wider lens get more expensive and a little harder to fine. Have fun.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Vivitar Series 1 lenses also were available in M42. On the other end of the price scale, some of the new Carl Zeiss lenses are available in M42, including the f/1.4 50mm Planar. Very pricey, for sure.

But as others have noted, you can build a collection of fine glass for a pittance.

One other thing, be sure to replace those foam seals on your camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Look for some Carl Zeiss Jena lenses. Some are really good, like:
    Flektogon 35mm F2.4 MC
    Pancolar 50mm MC
    Sonnar 135mm F3.5 MC

Some Russian beauties?
    Volna 9 50mm F2.8
    Jupiter 9 85mm F2.0
    Tair 11A 135mm F2.8
    Jupiter 21M 200mm F4.0

One stage I had about 100+ M42 lenses. Now I have offloaded most except these (plus a few more). These are top notch lenses with characters.
    Canon/Nikon/Contax/Mamiya/Olympus/Minolta/Praktica/Pentax/Pentacon/Zeiss/Yashica/Zorki/Kiev/Ricoh ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had a 135mm Sonnar in the batch of stuff I bought. I keeping that one!

Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin